Injection rooms?

Pef

Does anyone else hate having to inject insulin in dirty toilets?

I often inject into my thighs, i rotate to different areas but dont like injecting into my stomach as this gives me fatty lumps.

When i go out for a meal I dont want to drop my trousers in the middle of the restaraunt as people frown at this.
If I have a baby most places have a baby changing area. Whys it not ok to make people change nappys in the toilet, but it is ok to make diabetics inject in unsanitary conditions.

Just my rant for the day.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just don't use toilets at all Pef, they are filthy dirty places to inject insulin and no-one should feel the need to hide away in a public loo to inject.

Nigel

Pef

Perhaps if we all stand in the middle of the restaraunts and drop our trousers/skirts to inject then we can charge entertainment fees. :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pef said:
Perhaps if we all stand in the middle of the restaraunts and drop our trousers/skirts to inject then we can charge entertainment fees. :wink:

I would sooner do that than inject in a dirty toilet Pef! :wink:

Nigel

Pef

True.

Dont know that they would pay me very much anyway.

No I must say I tend to just inject in my stomach when I go out (less fuss).

But I still think it would be nice to be considered by large chains of food establishments.

It seems its ok to breastfeed in public these days (and fair enough) but ive had some very strange reactions the occasional times people have noticed me injecting.

My skins pretty thick but im sure it upsets a lot of people.

My best reaction when someone seemed overly interested when they saw me inject was " Its good stuff, do you want to buy some".

Funny though they didnt answer me..... :twisted:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Pef said:
True.

Dont know that they would pay me very much anyway.

No I must say I tend to just inject in my stomach when I go out (less fuss).

But I still think it would be nice to be considered by large chains of food establishments.

It seems its ok to breastfeed in public these days (and fair enough) but ive had some very strange reactions the occasional times people have noticed me injecting.

My skins pretty thick but im sure it upsets a lot of people.

My best reaction when someone seemed overly interested when they saw me inject was " Its good stuff, do you want to buy some".

The above is the attitude I adopt, I don't much care what people think or are easily offended, I need insulin to keep me alive.............end of story! :)

Nigel

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i must say..at first i would go hide to inject but now i do turn away from others if possible but wont inject in toilets :)

tom79

I hide in the disabled toilet at work! :( its never used and so is pretty clean! but I do feel like I have to hide, not sure why.

Not sure I would want an "injection room" but they could have a "fresh up" room, just a sink and a mirror or somethin where people can wash there hands or do there hair or inject!

I think there is a stigma attached to needles, and illness in general, think its just human nature. I personaly would never inject in front of someone I did not know given the choice. However im not saying if it is right or wrong, it is just my opinion however it is early days and this may change. Afterall I want to enjoy my life and and if it a choice between using a dirty toilet or maybe offending a person I didnt know, well they can kiss my pale :shock:

But to be fair, if the toilet is dirty in a place to eat, I wouldnt trust the kitchen and be off!

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Pef said:

Brilliant post Pef, this forum needs your sense of humour-keep it up plz!! :D
My attitude has always been wherever I am, whenever I need to-I inject- what anyone else thinks or feels is their problem and they don't have to look. Like you , I tend to choose the tummy for ease.
Might try that line of yours Pef, if I ever get unwanted glares!
Jus x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
tom79 said:
But to be fair, if the toilet is dirty in a place to eat, I wouldnt trust the kitchen and be off!

Good point Tom and very true! :)

Nigel

TheSparkyPony

I always go into the toilet to inject - not fun hiding in a little cubicle, and God knows what people think when they hear the clicks of me dialling up the units :lol:

I'm very paranoid and self concious about it though, and have only recently managed a breakthrough of injecting on public transport - so long as I'm sat by the window and am hidden from view!

I've often been given dirty looks by people in restrooms when I walk out of a cubicle with a pen in my hand, and have had plenty comments made referring to me as a druggie etc etc, and it's been a hard thing to toughen up to through my teenage years. At 18 I can finally muster a witty response!

I wouldn't say a special room would be required, just some more (!) public knowledge and understanding. The topic of Type 2 diabetes is always being flown around, but less and less people (from what I've found anyway!) are remembering that some diabetics DO inject aswell.

Failing that, go with what another poster suggested and do a little performance when you inject :lol:

babira

i used to love sitting in restaurants with a real syringe...then u got real good looks...i did have a guy once say to me cant u do that in the toilet, so i asked him if he would eat his meal in the toilet...theres nothing to hide, we dont take it we die, so screw what ppl think :twisted:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
babira said:
i used to love sitting in restaurants with a real syringe...then u got real good looks...i did have a guy once say to me cant u do that in the toilet, so i asked him if he would eat his meal in the toilet...theres nothing to hide, we dont take it we die, so screw what ppl think :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol: ........love the attitude! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nigel

sugar2

Hi pef,

I am not a fan of flashing my thighs in public...and teh public are not fans of me doing so either! I used to use the baby change room...if it was cleaner.

This is another added bonus of the pump though...as it is no longer a problem..although I do get a few questioning looks as to what that "buzzing noise" coming from my pocket or sometimes bra is. (The noise of the pump giving me me bolus) it isn't very loud...but I have found, just giving a slightly dreamy smile tends to avoid any questions. :twisted:

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
lol sugar!

I've only had comments about injecting when I'm in Indian restaurants, twice I have had waiters say oh is that insulin, are you diabetic, my relative is diabetic and both times we had a chat about it!

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi HLW,
that's funny I got to know the manager of our fave indian restaurant that way -he's type-2. We always have a natter and a moan about it whenever my family and I go there. I'm an old-fashioned syringe and vial user, there's still a few of us left!
Jus :)

Pef

Hi all, again.

I tell you what.

I wish I had looked up this site earlier in my life, Thanks for all the views and comments and HELP that I have seen on here. Supprising how much it helps to know other people experience the same things, and nice to learn how they react.

Keep it coming.

Pef.

TheSparkyPony

Pef said:
I wish I had looked up this site earlier in my life, Thanks for all the views and comments and HELP that I have seen on here. Supprising how much it helps to know other people experience the same things, and nice to learn how they react.

Hi Pef - I agree 110%! It's amazing to find you're not alone in feeling certain things about diabetes and having certain attached conditions. :D

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
When you compare injections to breast feeding it might also be time for someone to come up with some clothing that has some openings in all the right places - like most maturnity wear. Dropping your strides in a public eating place wouldn't go down well for anyone and personally I stay well clear of the toilets to inject my son. I don't use the baby change room either as children are considered Super-Spreaders when it comes to disease. The only injection rooms I know of are for drug users and I sure wouldn't want to take my 4 yr old or have my 16 yr old with me to see that going on.

Those hiking pants that turn into shorts would be great for a start. What about pockets in dresses and skirts that open with velcro.

Sookie

Dislikes
Confrontation, Ignorant people and Darkness.
In my previous workplace the other girls complained that I was holding up the toilets whilst injecting and I was told to phone the office manager before I went to inject so the girls could run to the loo if they needed to go. Was very humiliating sitting in an office having to listen to my manager tell me about this complaint.

I still don't feel confident enough to inject in public :( Other than my husband who wouldn't mind where I injected as long as i did, everyoen else would expect me to go to a toilet anything other than that would be taboo. After reading some of these posts I am glad to see you're "sticking it to the man!"