injection sites

rapidyellow

I use my outer thighs mainly for levemir, and my belly for novorapid, I take 6 injections a day combined so site management is a problem, my outer thighs are very painful just recently but I just want to know about other injection sites?

Same really for blood tests, edges of my finger tips are terrible, I have used my toes before now to get blood samples and if compared to sample from fingers, seems much the same - is a toe a viable option?

NickW

I generally use the tops of my thighs for Insulatard rather than the sides (pulling the fat up and injecting at an angle so I don't hit the muscle), and I split the doses so that I don't inject more than 9 units in one place (so my 16 unit morning shot is split into two shots of 8, one in each leg). I find that large doses of insulin are far more likely to bruise or cause lumps, and over time are far more painful; even though I effectively now have twice as many background injections I now don't have any problems with pain.

I've never tried other sites, but I know some people use the sides of the bum or the upper arm.

The fingertip thing is something I can empathise with - mine are pretty sore too! I've never tried alternative sites like the toe or earlobe, I've just been sucking it up and sticking with the fingers (pun not intended!) Bernstein recommends taking fingerpricks from the back of the finger (i.e. between the nail and the first knuckle), but when I tried I couldn't get a decent blood droplet. Still, that might be worth trying; maybe I just needed to play with the depth of the lancet. If you can get that working then at least it gives you additional sites to rotate between.

Hope that's of some help; it sucks being a pin-cushion doesn't it?!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Following on from Nick's good advice just wondered what size needles you are using as well as the length can have a bearing, you could try shorter needles perhaps ?

The other thing is if you are going to try AST (alternative site testing) it is well to remember that you should discuss this with your GP/Nurse as the readings obtained are not as accurate due to the time lag when using AST.

gbtyke

Just posted in another thread. I use buttocks for basal and stomach or legs for bolus. Seems to work well.

Zoey_Mia

Hi everyone,

this is my first time posting on the site, i linger around and look at alot of the posts, ive just never signed up before!

anyway, i was diagnosed a type one back in january 2008 when i was 18. I used to inject in my thighs but i found that quite painfull and was getting quite big bruises on them and i didnt feel comfortable going out clubbing etc in skirts and dresses. I changed to my tummy after that and have done it there ever since. what i have noticed is that the injection sites on my tummy are slightly harder.

Zoey x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Zoey.
Welcome to the forum. Have a good look around and if you have any questions then just fire away. There is usually someone around with an answer ?