injections and school

o.moore11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pizza and indian food
I need a way to discreetly do my blood sugars and injection in my classes if anyone has advice I would love it! I always as to go to the bathrooms to do it but I miss a lot of class from it any help?

Reactions: 2 people

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a teacher and have the same sort of problem! My class (6-7year olds) know all about my blood testing and I do it in front of them- they even guess the result! But I don't like injecting in front of them , I now just turn around and often do it through my top which has never caused me any problems and is really discreet.

Reactions: 6 people

o.moore11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pizza and indian food
I'm a teacher and have the same sort of problem! My class (6-7year olds) know all about my blood testing and I do it in front of them- they even guess the result! But I don't like injecting in front of them , I now just turn around and often do it through my top which has never caused me any problems and is really discreet.
I do injection in my leg though so are you suggesting just do it through my tights? That's hard as I sit beside boys in class which is a bit embarrassing, but thx for the tips

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I would do it through your tights, but if you feel embarrassed you probably are better off nipping to the bathroom. How old are you can I ask? I think you should embrace it, honestly tiny children are the worst for saying insensitive things and asking weird weird questions, but after maybe 2 days of seeing me do it they don't even take a second glance. Hiding away to do a blood test must be a real pain, it's good for others to see what you have to deal with and manage on top of all the regular stuff and less of a pain for you! You probably draw more attention to it by disappearing throughout class. I did my tests etc quite visibly at school and nobody was very interested

Reactions: 6 people

o.moore11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pizza and indian food
Yeah I would do it through your tights, but if you feel embarrassed you probably are better off nipping to the bathroom. How old are you can I ask? I think you should embrace it, honestly tiny children are the worst for saying insensitive things and asking weird weird questions, but after maybe 2 days of seeing me do it they don't even take a second glance. Hiding away to do a blood test must be a real pain, it's good for others to see what you have to deal with and manage on top of all the regular stuff and less of a pain for you! You probably draw more attention to it by disappearing throughout class. I did my tests etc quite visibly at school and nobody was very interested
I'm 14 :)

Emilyprice

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only other option I can think of is arranging with the teachers that you come in to class 5 min early to do one privately and leave 5 min early for same reason. Obviously you might have to check inbetween now and again, but that might help.

o.moore11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pizza and indian food
Thab
Only other option I can think of is arranging with the teachers that you come in to class 5 min early to do one privately and leave 5 min early for same reason. Obviously you might have to check inbetween now and again, but that might help.
Thx so much lots of help x

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
dont you get a room in school where you can do it x

IceLover

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
theres only 1 other one at my school but she doesn't face any problems cos shes on pump *so lucky*

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi I know you asked this question a while back.

I've been diabetic from I was 2.5 years and am 21 next month. I've been though all the struggles your facing! The worst thing I did was try to be like the other kids in the sense that I stopped taking jabs and eating what I wanted. Which made me miserable.

My school was great. There was me and 2 other pupils in the school who had diabetes and we had the nurses room to go to. I got out 10 mins early from class before lunch to do my jab. The school should provide you a room to do it in which is hygienic so that you don't have to go to the toilets to inject.

Now that I'm that wee bit older I now have learnt to try and embrace my diabetes, if they don't like you for being diabetic then they aren't nice people. You may have diabetes but it shouldn't affect the friends you have! Being diabetic just makes you that wee bit more special!

My son was diagnosed on the 31st October, he is 17 months and I will be teaching him that he is just as amazing as everyone else and can do exactly what everyone else can do because diabetes doesn't rule him. You rule it!

Look into the school getting you somewhere to go tho! Keep us updated!

xXTashaBooXx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dont really have any, I think, apart from exams I guess. Does anxiety count?
Hi, I have that same issue, where I dont have enough time to take an injection and eat so I either just skip the injections and eat, or skip both, and the only place I can really do it is the toilets. As we only have half an hour lunch break my friends are trying to get me back into that daily repetitive routine which can be annoying because it can really get on my nerves sometimes Do you have any tips at all or things that I could do to get back into the routine?

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi, I have that same issue, where I dont have enough time to take an injection and eat so I either just skip the injections and eat, or skip both, and the only place I can really do it is the toilets. As we only have half an hour lunch break my friends are trying to get me back into that daily repetitive routine which can be annoying because it can really get on my nerves sometimes Do you have any tips at all or things that I could do to get back into the routine?
@xXTashaBooXx
Having to use the toilets for injections is both insanitary and degrading! an alternative needs to be found and needs to be investigated via the teaching staff or if neccessary the governors.

xXTashaBooXx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yeah, were trying to find somewhere else I can go, but really there aren't many other places that aren't busy or full up with people who cringe, make fun or ask questions all the time.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Have you spoken to your teachers about this? Sometimes people can be busy and assume everything's ok and working fine for you, and don't notice they're not.

Could your diabetes nurse help? Maybe they could speak to the school or send some helpful info. You're entitled to be able to manage your diabetes at school and get the help and support you need there. That could be finding you a room, that could be giving you extra time, or changing the routine a bit to accommodate you - anything like that.

Schools are busy places, but don't let your needs be ignored and speak up if you need to :)

xXTashaBooXx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes I have brought it up but haven't heard anything since then. The nurses office is always locked but I've tried any other places, they just recommend the staff room or toilets which doesn't give me much privacy and again isn't very hygenic. I've also been recommended the pump but I don't really like the idea.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Toilets aren't anywhere like clean enough to do your injection or blood tests. There are germs on the surfaces but also airborne germs.

I don't know if you'd be happy asking someone else to do this for you, but could a parent or someone similar put your concerns in writing to the school? Schools have a duty of care, and when someone has a medical condition that might need some kind of extra adjustment, there should be a plan to make sure all's going well.

Often when people 'aren't being helpful' it's just because they don't fully understand. If you or your family can help the school with ideas about how the days might be made easier for you, then I'd hope they'd be happy to listen :)

I know I said it before, but schools are always busy places so it's more than possible the person you spoke to just hasn't had time to sort things or could simply have forgotten as they get more jobs to do. Don't let the lack of an answer out you off. I'm sure the person wants to help if they can.

xXTashaBooXx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes, I'll try that and hopefully we will get somewhere with it. Thanks for your help :)

yayy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Selfish people, darkness, stress
I just take my injections at the school cafeteria before or after eating and only like two times I've noticed people staring at me. Diabetes is very common and almost everyone knows someone who has it so people don't think it's weird or anything. And no one has suggested to me that I should go to a separate room to take my injections, so I find that kinda weird. Doctor said that taking the injection while at the cafeteria is just so much easier than sneaking to the bathroom :D I don't know if things are so different in other countries so maybe people have different rules for this stuff.