injections

evelyntemple

Hi I am new to this so please be patient with me I am having problems with My nightime Injection I am on levemir and take 58 units but I find I have trouble pressing the pen down which is painfull and I always get redness and a lump no matter how I try to do it, the novorapid I take in the day isn't a problem as I do that in my stomach its just the one at night in my thighs has anyone got any tips please : thanks regards Mary

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
Hi,

As you're injecting a large dose... how fast are you inject it?

Becasue it's quiet a big dose in one injection... i would first try injecting it more slowly.

Secondly... do you know what size needle you are using on the pen? If it's too short and the dose is large, the insulin can "pool" under the skin, which causes a lump which does eventually disperse but can be painful/uncomfortable... so you might consider trying a longer needle if you're using a 6mm or an 8mm... try a 12?

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Mary,
i agree with Stu, my son is on levemir flexipen and found to begin with it took considerable force to press, didn't seem as smooth as other flexipens. Recently i collected his levemir from the chemist to find they have changed the design and it is still dark blue but with a thick green band around it and it delivers the insulin much more smoothly. If you are using disposable flexipens ask your chemist when there getting a new batch in and ask for the new flexipen when you take in your next script, hopefully that's solve your problem.
Hope this helps
Suzi x

Eliminator

Dislikes
People who talk ***** and tell lies.
My son was told by the nurse that if you get pain or ichy or red after an injection, that you should leave the needle in for 10 seconds after you have finished. Coz if you take it out too soon then the tiny amount left on the needle an cause the symtoms of pain or red or itchy on your skin. but if you leave it another 10 seconds your bloodstream will have washed it ALL off the end of the needle.

He takes Novamix 30 & novarapid (if needed)
they have just changed his pen to a novapen 4 silver, and he has had problems pressing them down too and had 3 new ones this week alone.

I hope this is the info you need to help you.

Mark

Sweet3x

evelyntemple said:
Hi I am new to this so please be patient with me I am having problems with My nightime Injection I am on levemir and take 58 units but I find I have trouble pressing the pen down which is painfull and I always get redness and a lump no matter how I try to do it, the novorapid I take in the day isn't a problem as I do that in my stomach its just the one at night in my thighs has anyone got any tips please : thanks regards Mary

Not on the same insulin, but I used to get an itchy spot after injecting in my thigh. I found leaving the needle in and counting to 5, plus using 6mm needles solved the issue. With such a large dose, make sure you press the plunger (button? I don't know what it's called now) slowly, too.

littlelawt

I agree with stuboy change size of needles my size is 8mm it works fine for me but maybe not for others experiment more you will soon adapt what your preference is also change needles daily depending on how many injections you have my diabetic nurse told me if there are unsitely lumps the needles are blunt and the full insulin dose as not gone into the injected site try changing injections sites use a new needle to inject with.

Try this shake flexipen if its cloudy depending what type of insulin your taking this means its thickended when stood put in a cold place like fridge away from children of cause I take novamix 30 now draw up 2 units of insulin push plundger until there is a drip left coming out of needle shake access of needle.

Redraw to your proper dosage inject slowing don't force insulin to come out you will find doing this there is no pain from blunt needls no lumps from putting pressure on plundger insulin being injected correctly and no more pressing down hard on plundger the flexipen should run smoothly without little pressure at all.

If this don't solve your problem disgard flexipen and get new one pen cylinder may be damage get out a new one mine come in packs of 6 if you use the stainless steel ones they used to come in 2s order more if you still can or change to flexipen if their is one for the type of insulin your taking there should be.

Ask diabetic nurse for these there not weighty like the steel ones they are unbreakable when your out and about the steel type can be a bit of inconvenience with the flexipen it looks like a normal pen no one would know the difference.

keep me posted.
Hope this helps people.

Kiwigirl

I have had similar trouble when using my thighs as an injection site. I hardly ever use them now. I had overused a certain area. I now find it more comfortable to use stomach (for my novorapid), butt cheeks and my sides (the fleshy part known as the love-handles - for lantus). Maybe you just need to give the thighs a break.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I remember someone here saying its best not to inject more than about 8 units in one place. 58 units is a big dose in one place. Why not try dividing the dose between 2 or 3 places and see if that helps. Less fluid to take in in one go and it may not irritate your skin so much. It's not a problem I have so I have not needed to do this, but probably worth a try. Also do you keep the Levemir you're using at room temperature? I think it can cause more irritation if very cold.

bubbles247

Dislikes
rushing!!
Hi to all....

Im putting this out there incase it might help someone else.

I saw the doc yesterday and she thinks my high sugar levels are caused from insulin not going into me. Gee...bare with me, as I try explain this. I have been injecting into my stomach for a long time and it has swollen up and could be blocked. So when I inject inulin, not all is going in to my blood. I have to change place of body, so to speak. Not to be rude but now have to use my "bottom"...OUCH!!!!!!!!! hie hie...well, I laugh a little now but last night I was in tears. I have to be honest, yes it did hurt. I am waiting for my appoitment with the diabetic nurse to sort out my diet.

I have also been told to "count to 10 or 20" before I take the needle out. My pen injection is a Humapen ( from Rome) and needles are 6mm.

Hope this HELPS someone - someday....

Take care
Ursula 8)