Insane urge to stockpile!!

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys
I know this is a bit taboo, so shhhhhh, don't tell the NHS, but does anyone else out there feel a niggling in the back of their head to stockpile, insulin, needles, lancets, test strips?...

I'm sure it's just because I'm only 4 months into my diagnosis, but I feel I need to slowly squirrel away stuff, so have bout 6 months/a year supply of everything in case something ridiculous happens, like a war/ shortage of meds etc... It's just we rely on all of the meds to keep us alive don't we?... I've even thought, 'what would happen on walking dead, I wouldn't survive, never mind the zombies', lol...

Reactions: 6 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi guys
I know this is a bit taboo, so shhhhhh, don't tell the NHS, but does anyone else out there feel a niggling in the back of their head to stockpile, insulin, needles, lancets, test strips?...

I'm sure it's just because I'm only 4 months into my diagnosis, but I feel I need to slowly squirrel away stuff, so have bout 6 months/a year supply of everything in case something ridiculous happens, like a war/ shortage of meds etc... It's just we rely on all of the meds to keep us alive don't we?... I've even thought, 'what would happen on walking dead, I wouldn't survive, never mind the zombies', lol...
Hi laineyK, the most important piece of kit is your brain! As we learn to control our diabetes ,we know more or less what to eat etc, and that at the end of the day is all we need. Yes we use bs meters etc , but at ground zero the knowledge we have will safeguard us.

Reactions: 2 people

Gemmablower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes!!! It takes so long for my doctors to send over prescriptions and then they make mistakes like sending it through post rather than electronically to my chemist! So annoying that if I don't keep a fully stocked cupboard then I would bloody run out by the time I get my prescription! Always order more for my little one, better to be safe than sorry that's my motto! ;)

Reactions: 4 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Prescriptions are easy going here.
I go online type in what I want and the Chemist van pops round and delivers same day if I get my email sent off before 9 a.m.
All free too in Wales.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes I always stockpile much more than I need, though I am careful to work through it oldest first. There are a hundred ways the system can fail, even without a zombie Apocalypse.

Reactions: 10 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I have a walk in pantry and I swear my wife has stocked it to survive WW3 and 4!
Tins packets bins of flour of many kinds stuff growing in the garden poly tunnels on order right now.

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds good Jack. I have had issues with my prescriptions, sometimes 4 or 5 days later, then not all meds there that I ordered. Maybe I should move to Wales

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I could help your misses with the stockpiling, ha ha!!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I will need you Jaylee when the apocalypse rocks in
There are quite a few preppers out in the wilds of North Wales.
Bright people clever people resourceful people but .... how much food and water can people really pile up hide away etc?
If you have enough tins of food and bottles of water for a year .... that's a big stash then what happens at the end of the stockpile?
Or when someone realises you aint going hungry.

Reactions: 5 people

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mmm... Yes Walking dead paranoia would take over..better stockpile weapons and ammo too

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diabetes type 2 for horsies, poor horsies

We actually owned a laminitic horse years ago.. It looked cruel to the "outsider" restricting/cutting the grass/oats/sugarbeet from the diet, (any Ds out there been badgered into a doughnut by the uneducated?) but he lived to a ripe old age of about 40. Then it got cancer. :(

June_C

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes, know it alls
Yes, I'm trying to stockpile - makes me feel safe, daft really, but that's me. In my kitchen, I have a spare tin, packet or jar of everything, that way I never run out. I'm trying to do the same with the Insulin kit if only the NHS would let me. I'm working on putting repeats in a week or so early, so that I can eventually have a cupboard with oodles of spares.

LaineyK

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no Jaylee, sorry to hear that, but you did your best for it, 40 must be a good age for a horse. Something always gets us in the end

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
We live out in the sticks so it makes sense to stockpile to a degree.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Yes I always stockpile much more than I need, though I am careful to work through it oldest first. There are a hundred ways the system can fail, even without a zombie Apocalypse.
My longest wait was 23 days - not good at all. It was me having to do the legwork in trying to find out what had,or hadn't happened.