Inserting a Cannula

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just had a quick question regarding inserting a cannula, is it much the same as when injecting with the exception of the introducing device?

Sometimes when I am injecting I realise an area will not be suitable for injecting due to being to painful or the needle not going in so I move the needle. When I go on the pump will I still have this flexibility or will it be easier to go in due to the introducing device?

This is the only thing I'm a little worried about with going on to the pump. I'd had a look around the forum but couldn't find any advice from people having any specific issues.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
on some occasion the cannula insertion has been nippy/painful but then it subsides pretty quickly...........

there has been a few times were the pain has continued for whatever reason and so I have had to change the site with a new cannula.......

this has only happened 2 times since January 2013.....

the inserter is good, I use the medtronic quick serter, so its very reliable and consistent........once the cannula is stuck down though, removing it will need a completely new set up.....

Reactions: 4 people

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
on some occasion the cannula insertion has been nippy/painful but then it subsides pretty quickly...........

there has been a few times were the pain has continued for whatever reason and so I have had to change the site with a new cannula.......

this has only happened 2 times since January 2013.....

the inserter is good, I use the medtronic quick serter, so its very reliable and consistent........once the cannula is stuck down though, removing it will need a completely new set up.....

Thanks for your reply @novorapidboi26 , it really is the only thing I'm worried about.

But realistically if someone had told me 3 weeks before I was diagnosed that I would have to start injecting I would have headed for the hills. It's a big change, just I know about it this time.

Thats good to know that you have never had very many issues with it.

I was at my pre pump meeting on Friday and it was mentioned we would have a couple of Cannula options.

H

Hooked

If you know the names of the insertion devices, or your pump, there tend to be a lot of pump user videos on youtube where you can watch someone doing a set change etc to give you a better idea of what's involved. I found it useful to help to watch them before I got my pump.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you know the names of the insertion devices, or your pump, there tend to be a lot of pump user videos on youtube where you can watch someone doing a set change etc to give you a better idea of what's involved. I found it useful to help to watch them before I got my pump.

I might take a look on YouTube and see what there is.

Reactions: 2 people

Flowerpot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use the Medtronic Quick serter device with Quicksets. The insertion device fires the needle in quickly so I've not noticed any pain or resistance I sometimes used to get when using a pen. I can obviously feel the needle going in briefly but once the needle is retracted the cannula is usually fine and I'm not really aware of it. I avoid one area where I've had absorption issues but you soon learn where and when the cannulas feel right.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
I have a Medtronic pump and I use the sil serter with silouhette infusions sets. This looks a bit awkward but after a few goes I got the hang of it and have never had one fail yet. I've had a couple of ones that hurt a bit but this has always been down to the inserter causing a bit of a bruise on insertion not because of the insertion needle itself. I've had one that hurt a lot so I did take that one out and started again on the other side. One word of advice which I was given early on is to leave the old set on for a few hours after you've put the new one in just in case the new set plays up. You only need it there for a few hours and then you can take it off.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a Medtronic pump and I use the sil serter with silouhette infusions sets. This looks a bit awkward but after a few goes I got the hang of it and have never had one fail yet. I've had a couple of ones that hurt a bit but this has always been down to the inserter causing a bit of a bruise on insertion not because of the insertion needle itself. I've had one that hurt a lot so I did take that one out and started again on the other side. One word of advice which I was given early on is to leave the old set on for a few hours after you've put the new one in just in case the new set plays up. You only need it there for a few hours and then you can take it off.
Thanks for the advice, especially about leaving the old set in.
As mentioned above I'm definately going to look at some YouTube videos before I start.

Reactions: 3 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi dtennant9 I have the Medtronic veo insulin pump it's is the best thing I have done in re guards to my diabetes care I have gained a lot of freedom using the insulin pump it's me around 4 minutes to change my cannula and tubing etc but to cut long story short I would definitely recommend the Medtronic veo insulin pump

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
you should get training to use it.........

Yeah we are getting training, just wanna see what to expect in advance.

Hi dtennant9 I have the Medtronic veo insulin pump it's is the best thing I have done in re guards to my diabetes care I have gained a lot of freedom using the insulin pump it's me around 4 minutes to change my cannula and tubing etc but to cut long story short I would definitely recommend the Medtronic veo insulin pump

4 minutes is very fast.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use to watch all the you tube videos for the insulin pumps and learnt from there they give you a lot of helpful tips on the Medtronic site also