1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin action issue

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Zhnyaka, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Zhnyaka

Zhnyaka Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sometimes it seems like my insulin (novorapid) is not working. Sometimes I have to do 3 injections for blood sugar to drop from 15 to normal, and sometimes I inject the same amount as I needed in total the last time and my blood sugar drops to dangerously low levels very quickly. I'm T1 for 18 years, but this has only recently started happening
    I wonder if anyone else has stumbled onto that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. In Response

In Response Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You mentioned needing more insulin to drop from 15.
    It is very common to experience insulin resistance when our levels rise to that level. I can need double the correction ratio when my levels are over 15 to what I would use to calculate a correction for around 8 or 9.

I have not used NovoRapid for a few years as I now use Fiasp. I find that the speed Fiasp works depends upon my levels. If am I in the 4s, Fiasp starts working instantly, If I am over 15, it can take an hour to appear to have any affect. This is very pronounced with Fiasp but I recent read someone experiencing the same with NovoRapid.

Would either of these things explain your recent observations?

3. Zhnyaka

Zhnyaka Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That sounds about right. Thank you very mush!

• Like Like x 1
  4. JAT1

JAT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It may also depend on what you ate that drove you up to 15. It's my experience that not all carbs affect me equally.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook