Insulin advice after hypo

Tumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
I had a hypo @ 11:15am, nothing major just enough to make me feel tingly with a reading of 3.9. So I had 20g of carbs to bring my levels up. At 12:30pm I checked my levels again and they had risen to 9.7 so I decided to head for a walk at lunch to bring these down a bit before I ate lunch. When I tested just before I ate lunch I was 8.4. Now I know these readings aren't drastically high but they are high enough to annoy me. Anyway my question is do I correct the 8.4 by taking extra insulin or do I just take my usual amount? I know I should know this but I always seem to get it wrong and once again I can't get through to my diabetes team.

Any help much appreciated. (These are just today's figures as an example, sometimes the readings are much higher).

Thanks

justjay

Tumble said:
I had a hypo @ 11:15am, nothing major just enough to make me feel tingly with a reading of 3.9. So I had 20g of carbs to bring my levels up. At 12:30pm I checked my levels again and they had risen to 9.7 so I decided to head for a walk at lunch to bring these down a bit before I ate lunch. When I tested just before I ate lunch I was 8.4. Now I know these readings aren't drastically high but they are high enough to annoy me. Anyway my question is do I correct the 8.4 by taking extra insulin or do I just take my usual amount? I know I should know this but I always seem to get it wrong and once again I can't get through to my diabetes team.

Any help much appreciated. (These are just today's figures as an example, sometimes the readings are much higher).

Thanks

I personally wouldn't ever correct for a reading like that, I'd be happy if all mine were at that! :lol: I'd stick to the normal amount as there will most likely be some still floating around in your system which should reduce them a bit further I'd have thought

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carlos37

id agree with above post in theory if you tried to correct it with another unit it would drop it further so you would be back down in hypo territory again I got told by my dn that if its below 9 or thereabouts not to correct it hope that helps

misslotty1

I agree too. Dafne says never correct after a hypo. (Even if it didn't feel like one) x

Sent from my GT-I5500 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Tumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
Perfect, thanks very much for the replies.

Ausra

Hypo is considered anything less then 3.5 by DAFNE. Sometimes you might feel hypo because of quick sugar drop or if your levels been higher then usual for some time, it's normal.
If it's 3.9 i would take something too..it is low..but maybe just a cup of tea..