insulin advice needed

jobean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Aubergines
Hello everyone, I have been diabetic for 10 years, 7 years on meds. Good control until the past 2 years where for various reasons went off the rails

Fortunately I have no diabetic complications, eyes fine, kidney function okand I am not overweight, average bs over the years between 6-7

Got back on track over the last couple of months, right meds, sensible diet

Went to the Docs yesterday and was shocked when she said "you need to consider insulin" Bs was 12, and the doc thinks I have a decreasing pancreatic function and have moved from type 2 to type 1.5

I have left it with her to continue on my meds till May, and she has upped my metformin, but if my bs has not come down significantly, it will be the insulin route

She is very approving of my lowish carb diet(no more than 100gms a day)

My overwhelming feeling is one of failure and I have some many questions

Will I have constant hypos, will I put on weight, is it complicated to manage ?

Thanks to everyone in advance for your help and support but I am really upset by it all

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi jobean...
You are carbon copy me!!!
I went tablets meds route with yet high BG levels ....
Then onto the insulin route, still took me some time to find the 'right insulin' for me tho !
I am weight gain 'phobic' so truly get your feelings and questions. [been tiny all my life]
It does make you reroute your daily routines around it all, as it HAS to ....
I ended up having to reorganise my handbag and meals and driving and life around it all...
Once you find the right routine and insulin therapy thats working for you it DOES get better and easier. :D
Its a learning curve to learn and adjust to step by step daily.
Thank goodnesss for this place - absolute gold mine of help and support .
Ask ALL the questions you feel/need to .
Knowledge is the way forward when having to adapt and adjust things lifestyle,routines,meal plans,meds therapy etc...
The more you ask the more you are aware of . . . :thumbup:
Its not easy, its here to stay, everyday, I had to learn to treat it as a friend and not as the enemy !
As I was blazing for the first 6months, completely resisting 'insulin' terrified it would pile stones on me! [gave my DSN and consultant hell over it all ]
Kept being ill with infections and constant high BG levels despite very low carb, extra keen eye on all I was doing etc
failed to work... Was forced to give in and go onto insulin therapy. [was still very reluctant like!]
Now I couldnt and wouldnt think twice about it all , it does work [finally 'yay' ]
Am feeling tons better, more energy and focus to do things. Calmer and less grumpy. Not catching every cold,bug,virus
doing the rounds.
Have adapted well to it all with new established routine,handbag,[all kit n kaboodle!]n positive happier approach.
It CAN be done, achieved, and sustained .
I do truly understand and get where you are now... x
Feel free to PM me if you wish .
Anna.x :)

jobean

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Aubergines
Hey Anna, many thanks for your reply, you touched on another of my real concerns - about finding the right insulin for me

It took me a year to find the right balance of tablets, had bouts of feeling really ill

I don;t want to have to go through that all over again

Once again, many thanks Jo x