insulin advice please

2808myles

I have been diabetic for 4 years i take 32 units of novomix in the morning 20 at teatime i take 1000mg of metformin in the morning 500mg at lunch and 1000mg at teatime,this is the first time ive been on here quite interesting to read some of the comments.Side effects of metformin for myself just seem to be running to the toilet,my consultant told me that it would prolong my life i would like to get some feed back on my medication as i think i may be insulin resistant and would appreciate some one telling me exactly what this means and if there is anything to watch out for

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
HI,
Having had dreadful side-effects with Lantus, I can understand your concerns about metformin. Althought the side-effects of Lantus are generally denied by the medical professioin, even though they're widely reported.
I met up with a diabetes consultant this week at a party and discussed my concerns about Lantus. Was surprised when he said he has more trouble with the patients he has on Levemir. He said it doesn't seem to work at all for some people. It's not beyond the realms of possibilty that you could just be having probs with your insulin, or that the regime of being on a mixture does not suit you.
I thought that Metformin was prescribed for type-2s . Perhaps before docs consider insulin resistance in type-1s, it would be wise to consider an alternative insulin or regimen.
There are plenty of insulins available, not just Lantus and Levemir,novorapid or humalog; synthetic 'human' and pork & beef are good alternatives for many patients.
Although with the big push from pharmaceutical complanies, most patients don't hear about anything other than analogues these days, which, in my opinion, is a real shame for the newly and recently diagnosed.
Quality of life is as important as good BG control and management, so if your medication is having an impact on that, it needs to be addressed.
Jus :)