Insulin alternatives?

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Maybe the Metformin with the Januvia may work ? Guts wise cancel each other out ? :roll:

My Doc is doing his best to keep me off insulin as i have a few black outs
I'm on
2500mg Met
240mg Glit
100mg Januvia
This is working for me now , told me will try me on BYETTA next if the Januvia fails

Constipation you can take something for that ,I need to as take Morphine every day
I take lactulose syrup start off with 5ml build up to for the right effect :roll:

Ask your doc /No Tell him you like to try some thing else before you move onto insulin
BYETTA ?
VICTOZA

Bob

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
has he mentioned combination of tablets and either victoza or byetta both injectables. May be worth asking about those before insulin they will advise if its suitable.

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Hi im the same I have IBS and could not stand metforming not even the slow release so I feel your tummy pain there I was on allot of immodium every day. So much sometimes I got blocked and ended up in hospital never fun.

Victoza and byetta are pretty much last line alternatives so your usually only on them if your have tried a combination of drugs that are still not working for you. Victoza is a once daily injection and byetta a twice daily injection. Both have advantages for type 2 patients instead of insulin with regards to appetite suppresion and weight loss. So your wieght etc also plays a part in the choice of these over insulin.

I certainly think it might be worth asking your doc etc about these possible alternatives due to your apprehension on starting insulin. As both of these have the advantage of less chance of hypos and no need to inform the dvla Hope that helps.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Shy Girl

I had terrible trouble with Metformin and IBS-D (although had this milder before I started the metformin). I gave up eating wheat - I'd been tested twice for coeliac and it came back negative. I don't have trouble with IBS now unless I eat something with hidden wheat in it.

Giving up eating wheat may be worth a try before you go onto insulin. You also eat less carbs by not eating wheat.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Why are you on morphine daily?

Pain form Spinal Injury to lower Back L4 L5 also to Neck C1/C2and C3 lesion on brain Stem
Gives me a right pain in the head :? few black outs plus spasms :shock:

Take Two types Morphine to control the deep pain , turns a knife into wooden spoon
Slow release 12hr twice a day Then oral top ups between four times a day or extra when needed
Spinal block injections to neck and lower back every 8<>12 weeks that can play havoc with BG

Plus load of other pain medication for nerve pain (neuropathic)
The pain clinic have all the good stuff :mrgreen:

I take 54 tablets per day inc diabetic

I alway give a new drug around 8 weeks before i kick it into touch

As some of the nerve pain medication can be a tad heavy duty can take that long before it stops spacing you out

Bob