1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin and Carb Counting

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by debzg, Mar 30, 2011.

1. debzg

debzg · Member

Hiya,

I was originally on Levemir and Novorapid for around a month last year (with good results as I recall...although the memory is slowly failing me due to frequent bouts of hyperglycemia!), until it was decided that I should be on Novomix instead. It has never really worked and sugars have gradually crept up with periods of being in the 30s, but as a rule staying between 15 and 20ish, which is pretty bad really. Even on 56 units of Novomix before each meal, my sugars have remained high. I nagged and nagged about returning to my previous insulin, and now following a change of diabetic team, I have.

Tomorrow I start on 6 units of Novorapid before each meal and a daily dose of Levemir at 30, which maybe a bit low after being on so much Novomix, but I am certain that regular doses of insulin will be the key to control...well I am hoping so.

Once this has been kick started, I will be looking at dose adjustment of the Novorapid in relation to carb control (appointment with diabetes dietician is booked for end of April) and I have tried to look online to have a read about it, but I just don't understand it (maths was NEVER my strong point!!).

Can anyone point me in the right direction to something like an idiots guide please? I am feeling like an idiot right now!! :) I really would like to get some kind of control as I have been diagnosed diabetic since 2007 and it has never been controlled really. I have been in hospital twice with hyperglycemia (an experience I don't really want to repeat!!), the last time I was given insulin. And despite a brief period of feeling "normal" when I was on this type of insulin to start with, I need to stop feeling so ill every day (banging head, knackeredness, dizziness etc) which comes with having high blood sugars.

The weight gain after being put on Novomix is another matter (that came of feeling like I could eat everything in sight and then struggling to exercise to get rid of it!), but once I feel normal, I can get my backside back to the gym!! :lol:

Thanks ever so much!

2. daisy1

daisy1 Type 2 · Legend

Hi Deb. :) I was looking through your posts and saw that you had never been given the basic information we give to new members. I am wondering if something in this might help you now with your control - especially the sections on diet and carbs. It doesn't teach you carb counting but other members will soon be along to help you with their knowledge about it. This advice was written by the Forum Monitors mainly for newly diagnosed diabetics which obviously you are not but it still might be useful information for you. It can be a good idea every now and again to get back to the basics. Even if you saw it before somewhere it has just been updated and contains a lot more information now. Give it a read...

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook