insulin and changes to how it works

Davears

hi all, im 38 and have gad type 1 since I was 5. in the last three or four years I have been noticing that insulin injections dont seem to be working like they use to. Its kind of like my body is becoming immune to insulin, it just doesnt seem to do what it should anymore.
Anyone else noticing this? or found ways to combat it??

Sent from my GT-I9300 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Cawthorn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, funny you mention that, I am 39 and I am starting to notice the same, I am looking at maybe trying the pump, but need to do some research into it first

Davears

hey, I did some research on the pump myself a while ago. I have to admit the medical benefits seem good, I just didnt like the idea of having a needle in my body all the time. I know it would annoy me lol. Not sure if this would help either, as if I am becoming immune to insulin (which is common with every other type of medication thats taken for to long) would the pump be any different?
nice to know im not the only one though, and thanks for replying.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
We are all diferent, but I know of 2 people that used insulin from day it became available basically...and one of thrm has had same regime, food, insulin wverything for 30 years and still fit snd healthy... So it may just be a change in ur body needs, rather than insulin not working... Ie insulin resistance changing, getting older-lol!!
I'm on a pump and actually prefer it due to only needing one fast acting insulin rather than different ones at different times of day etc.

As for the comment on having a needle stuck in permanently... I'm lean and muscly and dont feel it at all.. And if you cansee and do multi injections everyday.. It a lot less bother doing one needle every 2 or 3 days than doing what you do..

I strap my pump to my arm and forget about it.. Literally!!! When going to bed, getting up, dressed.. Never worry about it.. Eating... Much nicer to pull out a remote control than an injection... Before bed.. No hunting for long acting insulin pen, no accidentally using wrong pen, no worries of taking pens everywhere all the time when going out.. Pump just permanently attached to arm...

Oldage creeping up on you guys... If you want to change.. Much easier to do before yourold age strikes at 40!!-LOL!!!

Davears

lol thanks.....think im off out to buy myself a zimmerframe as im so old :-0

all good points, I really dont think a pump is for me thought. ..I rock and roll in my sleep and id feel like terminator with something strapped to my arm lol

Cawthorn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers for the detailed info, got my review next week so am gonna look into the pump before I am 40, lol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Helped achap that went onto pump after 32 years of eating same breakfast and biphasic (?) insulin.. Older than you oldie guys (says she-50 this year!!).. And he had bever carbckubted till a minth before the pump.. And ge adjusted well to having his 1st Mcdonalds!!!

I think I'm the only person that wears it on my arm...
I also move around horrendous at night... Which is why I wear it in my arm.. Dont have to worry about where it is in bed.. And dont wear pj's so nothing to attach it to...

I think it does give more flexibilty and control.. And certainly less swings between highs and low's..

Been diabetic 27 years+ and wish I'd had it years ago.

Good luck with that zimmerframe purchase.. Make sure you get one with a basket on the front to carry your injections... Will race you.. My zimmer basketless with pump on arm.. You with basket zimmer carrying your meds!!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So what do you think could be reasons for insulin not working so well? I guess like antibiotics etc we can become immune.. Resistant to it.. Is it causing highs?

As an oldie with zimmerframe, please put on your specs.. (bi-focals?) and look really hard to find the best before date on the box... When getting geriatric it is possible to run on out of date insulin... Yep, i admit found just recently my back insulin for my pen incase of pump failure went out of date September!! So am now being fitted with binoculars not bifocals as glasses!!!

Hope you get someone that has some knowledge (and not just banter) to give a response!!

Davears

im not sure, I have asked doctors this, and never get a direct answer! I wonder if it is an immune type of situation, I have read articles on his being common with type 2. yes when I first noticed it, it was because of highs, ive kinda combated that with either less food, or more insulin, which at present seems to be working...

Richard.arkle

I have just posted a reply to the Lantus discussion group which I think may have some relevance.

Used a CGM for 2 years and was offered the pump but turned it down after my experience of the CGM. It isnt the silver bullet. Sites are very restricted, I got a lot of bruising and it was a lot of hassle.

R

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi R

I also used cgm.. And had pure **** with it being totally outside of ant blood readings on any meter..
Now handing the Abbott Navigator CGM back as it is WWAAAAYYY out.
I have had 2 readings out of 67 that are within the 20% suppposed tolerances...

Doesnt help our poor poster though does it!!

I think personally that our bodies are different everyday.. We can eat, drink and exercise the same.. But our blood results will differ and our insulin wil even more!!!

We are able to guestimate what impact our exercise and food has on our bodies.. But we'll never be exact or precise!!

Cawthorn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Appreciate the talk on pumps, still not sure about why the insulin seems to hit and miss, but i would like some direction on which pump to go for? i have done plenty of research and the DANA is looking the most adaptable, any views or thoughts?

Cuthy 2013

I'm aged 43, had diabetes diagnosed at 18 month, I noticed a change not too long back , tried using new areas to inject in ( not my old usual ones) and this seems to have worked , occasionally I try my old favourite spot and I notice a much poorer performance , so although I cannot guarantee this to be the case it works for me :0)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Billyp

I have been type 1 now for 24 years and I am 63. On occasions I have wondered if my insulin was at times not working too well. So I asked my GP if it was possible to have a poor batch of Insulin and he didn't disagree. Moreover he said that this was possible although not likely without offering another explanation. For the last 24 years I have been in very good physical condition and even participated in a 57 mile walk.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dont know anything about DANA pumps.. Onlymy companion the accucheckcombo.. Theres loads of info around on pumps.if in Uk.. Your hosp may not give you a choice though..