1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin and Driving

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by ijc1969, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ijc1969

ijc1969 · Newbie

Can anybody help me ?
    I am expecting the doctor to put me on insulin in the near future. DVLA know I am diabetic and so does my insurance company. But I have just been told, by an aquaintance that my insurance will go up 500% if i am on insulin. I rely on my driving licence for work. Can anybody throw any light on this for me ? Any information would be most welcome.
    Ian

2. Dennis

Dennis Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Ian,
    As SarahQ said, except that your insurer is entitled to increase your insurance if they want to. Most insurers won't, but if yours does then I would shop around as there are plenty of others who are happy to insure diabetics with no added premium. However, you do need to advise your insurer as well as DVLA. If you fail to notify your insurer and were to have an accident, your insurer could refuse to pay out on the grounds that you have withheld information about your health.

3. ijc1969

ijc1969 · Newbie

I thought I was on the receiving end of a lorry load of **** ! There is nothing worse than a person of little bit of knowledge of a subject. Moral of story, Ask an expert !
    Thank you very much for the advice. I know where to come in future.

Ian

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook