Insulin dependant/DLA??

cloverly

Hi, I am type 2 and on gliclazide maximum dose but my sugar levels have been in the high teens/20's and my Dr is now saying there is nothing more he can give me so it will be insulin daily. (I cannot tolerate Metformin)
Just wondering if anyone knows if you are entiled to claim DLA because of being insulin dependant?

DazG

You can only get DLA if diabetic complications make you unable to care for yourself, or affect your mobility. Simply having to inject daily isnt a disability so id say definitely no Im afraid.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
i get disability for other reasons but theres no chance with diabetes unless u have bad complications...sorry :?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fortunately, you can take insulin and live a very full life. People taking insulin have climbed Everest and competed in the olympics.
I can't see any reason why a person taking insulin unless they have additional problems would need to claim a disability living allowance.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As the others have said, being on Insulin is not a reason to get DLA. There is much more involved.

Here is a link to the Directgov website where it is made a little clearer:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... G_10011816

You may be able to get Disability Living Allowance if you are under 65 and have needed supervision or help with personal care. You may also be able to claim if you have had walking difficulties because of a physical or mental disability. This must have lasted for three months and you are likely to need this help or have these difficulties for at least another six months.

However after reading all that if you think you might be eligible for other reasons listed then I would strongly advise you to contact your local CAB (Citizen's Advice Bureau) for further advice and help in filling in any forms. They are usually complicated and many have missed out on benefits because they filled the forms in badly.