insulin dosage

fencer50

Hi

i have recently come off glicazide and onto M3 30/70 insulin with a Lilly pen. The nurse started me on 10u twice a day. My sugars rocketed , averaging around 17. After a week it was increased to 12u...no improvement......now its 16u...i,m still getting readings of 16 2 hours after eating ( a brown bread beef sandwich and a tomotoe ).....i have been told to increase by 2u a day until my sugars come down

Does anyone have any idea of what dosage i should be aiming for.......it seems to be taking a long time to get my sugars down....2 weeks tomorrow in fact................on glicazide i was getting readings down to between 12 - 8 units

I weigh 85 kilos if thats makes a difference. My nurse is now on leave until 2/02/13

Thanks

Sassco

Hi I'm T2 also on M3 30/70 Lilly Pen my GP told me to cut my 2 a day glicazide to 0.5 twice a day. I too started on 10u then 12 & now 14. My BG averages 5-6. Speak to your GP & ask if going back on reduced Glicazide might help. I'm also still on Metformin (1000 three times a day). Are you on any other meds. How do you control your carb intake? Many factors will determine the insulin units you need. Many of us on this site have found low carbing helps to maintain a low BG. Hope that's helped. Good luck. Rachel (Sassco)

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
fencer50 said:
Does anyone have any idea of what dosage i should be aiming for.......

Hi fencer and welcome to the forum.

It will depend on a number of factors, how much insulin resistance you have, your pancreatic function ire how much of your own insulin you are producing and how many carbs you are eating as it is carbohydrates that turn to glucose and raise blood glucose. Your nurses advice is OK do not be tempted to up your units by more than 2u per day or you could be at risk of hypos.

You could help your insulin by reducing the amount of carbs you are eating as well, but again do it gradually or you may be at risk of hypos again.

It is a fine balancing act so slowly does it when you get the right balance of carbs and insulin you will see better numbers but it can take some tweaking.

And if you do start to get any very high or very low numbers do phone your doctors and ask their advice :thumbup:

Good luck.

There is some useful information given to new members that you may find to be of benefit click this link viewtopic.php?f=39&t=26870