Insulin dose adjustment

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
I've been T1 for 7wks now, Iam takingh Humulin m3 twice a day, my levels seem to b stabl in the mornings, 7.1 , 5.6 ish on waking, about 5.6, - 7.0 midday but in the evening (tea time) it seems to rise, today it was 10.2 ! I'm not sure if need to increase my dose, and when? I take 16units am and 6 units pm.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You should discuss this with your HCP before adjusting any dosage.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Susieg,

As you are newly diagnosed it would be best to discuss your control with your diabetes clinic as Sue suggests.

Nigel

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
:oops: Ok.. I am getting paranoid now, as I am so scared things are going to go wrong..

iHs

susieg said:
I've been T1 for 7wks now, Iam takingh Humulin m3 twice a day, my levels seem to b stabl in the mornings, 7.1 , 5.6 ish on waking, about 5.6, - 7.0 midday but in the evening (tea time) it seems to rise, today it was 10.2 ! I'm not sure if need to increase my dose, and when? I take 16units am and 6 units pm.

Hello Susie

As Humalin is twice daily insulin if you try to increase your morning dose in order to make your evening meal bg level lower, what will most likely happen is that your bg will start to go lower at lunch time which is not going to be ideal.

You should as the others have suggested, talk to your dsn about what you should do. I can only suggest that you keep your insulin dose the same at the moment and just cut back a touch on the amount of carb that you eat at lunch time or if you eat a mid afternoon snack, cut back a bit on that. You should then find that your bg level will be a bit lower by the time you eat your evening meal. Of course, with everything you do regarding adjusting your insulin, keep testing your bg levels so that you'll be able to see what is going on.

Don't worry - nothing bad is going to happen :wink: :)

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
iHs...Thank you for your reply, it's still A little confusing, after I tested and my bloods were 10ish yesterday, tested an hour or so after and it had gone back to 8.0 then in the middle of the night it bombed to 4.1 !! It's so confusing,. I know it will get better, they keep telling me, but this diabetes lark is NO fun is it ????

My HCP says she might put me on a different mix 25/75 to see if that evens it out. does it ever stay at 5.5 like it should???

iHs

Hi Susie

It does get better once you figure out how many carbs you can eat at each meal time so that your bg levels start to fall in the ok region.

Humalog Mix 25/75 might be better for you as it has slightly less fast action to it than 30/70 but has a bit more in the way of longer acting.

I think you are going to be a bit confused on the forum as quite a lot of people use bolus/basal so we all inject insulin to the carb that we eat because it is fast and short acting, whereas you have to tackle your bg levels in a different way and adjust the carb you eat. Some can do it by eating 'little and often' and test 6 times a day so that they can see if the carb that they eaten is ok, too much or too little. Once you regulate the amount of carb that you eat by testing bg, you should be much happier and less bewildered.

Ask your dsn the importance of regulating your carb intake with twice daily insulins only she/he should have explained things to you.