Insulin going off (bits floating in it) after 1 day out of fridge

ssnjimb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi :)

Not sure if this is the right discussion topic BUT

I started using a new prefilled fiasp pen yesterday.

This morning i go to use it and check it as i was taught and there were bits floating round in it.

With this heatwave at the moment im worried that this will keep happening.

I was told that once it has been removed from the fridge and started being used that it cant go back in the fridge (if i am at home)

Are there other ways i can keep it cool when out about without carrying a ice box around with me lol

James

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No harm in keeping it in fridge between using it. It shouldn't go off even kept in your pocket in the hot weather. It's actually a lot more robust than people imagine. Don't know what the bits could be. Are you sure they weren't tiny air bubbles?

ssnjimb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
they were deffinately not air bubbles they look like grey blobs

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

ssnjimb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the heat was the reason. I think it should be highlighted that the heat we had over the last two days is enough to do that. and that you should check the insulin thoroughly before using it. regardless if it was new the day before.

I discarded it asap. I should have taken a picture :-(

James

Reactions: Struma and Antje77

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I think the heat was the reason. I think it should be highlighted that the heat we had over the last two days is enough to do that.
Not necessarily - I have three days worth of insulin in a pump pod attached to my body, so it’s basically sat at 35+ degrees for the full time and works fine. It could just be a bad batch. I’d suggest returning it to your pharmacy so they can report it back and get it analysed if necessary.