Insulin need as get older..

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All.

I've been put on insulin now as oral meds seemed ineffective.

At present I take 1 unit per 10g carbs (worked out do bolus 5 hour test) and 10 units lantus at night.

I'm 34. So reasonably young to already be on the insulin route, however it's working!! BUT my question is this...as I get older will my need for the amount i need to inject change?? if I remain at a similar weight is this it now or will I forever have to be increasing my amount? I'm aware I'm probably still producing some of my own (although not convinced it's a lot!) so I know eventually that will go and I will need to increase that then but I just have nightmares at having to inject 100s units in my 50s :/

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi All.

I've been put on insulin now as oral meds seemed ineffective.

At present I take 1 unit per 10g carbs (worked out do bolus 5 hour test) and 10 units lantus at night.

I'm 34. So reasonably young to already be on the insulin route, however it's working!! BUT my question is this...as I get older will my need for the amount i need to inject change?? if I remain at a similar weight is this it now or will I forever have to be increasing my amount? I'm aware I'm probably still producing some of my own (although not convinced it's a lot!) so I know eventually that will go and I will need to increase that then but I just have nightmares at having to inject 100s units in my 50s :/
Hi jaxx01, i reccomend you getting dr r. Bernsteins diabetes explained fourth edition,several chapters about insulin dosing and hypo control, ( he's been t1 for 55 yrs)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
HI. The amount of insulin you will need is strongly tied to weight rather than pancreatic decay. If you are not overweight then you may well be a LADA and not T2 as many 'T2s' are a mis-diagnosed at your age. If you are overweight then having a low-carb diet if not already will get both your weight and insulin needs down. If you are normal weight and actually a LADA then there may be more islet cell decay over the years, but any insulin increase should be fairly small and you should have no fears. If you ask in the T1 forum how much those long-term T1s take I think you will find they only take doses in the tens

Jaxx01

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Guys! ! Yes diabell I suspect I am LADA as I am not overweight and relatively young! Pushing for tests at the moment. You have put my mind at rest though and as I thought providing in stay a similar weight I shouldn't have too much of an increase x