Insulin Only produced in Europe - none in the UK........

mrfluffy000

Hi!
Does anybody have any concerns over the fact that there are NO manufacturers of Insulin left in the UK?? Now that we have "Brexited" ( I voted leave with no regrets!) Should we be worried that the bulk if not ALL our insulin supplies come form Europe and are not "Home produced" Anymore?? Just wondered!! (T1 diabetic since 1964 - 52 years. Still here!!! LOL)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!
Does anybody have any concerns over the fact that there are NO manufacturers of Insulin left in the UK?? Now that we have "Brexited" ( I voted leave with no regrets!) Should we be worried that the bulk if not ALL our insulin supplies come form Europe and are not "Home produced" Anymore?? Just wondered!! (T1 diabetic since 1964 - 52 years. Still here!!! LOL)

"I voted leave with no regrets!"
Then it was a "selfless" act you committed with the X on the paper.. ;)

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
The question is, under WTO rules, what tariffs must we apply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Hi!
Not true, there are some no- Type1 s left in Britain!
Seriously, they will still sell us some, I'm sure!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where do other non EU countries source their meds from? No insurmountable, surely?

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Where do other non EU countries source their meds from? No insurmountable, surely?

We tend to source CE approved drugs, manufactured for supply into the EU.
It doesn't mean produced in the CE exclusively, and indeed out of the CE, depending on how it goes, we can source any product, and either keep CE marking, reinvent our own, or some sort of hybrid system.
The difference is we can buy abroad at the moment, and the EU is obligated to sell. In future they won't be, they can stockpile, they can create a tariff, or we can decide India is a cheaper source, and buy India approved drugs at suitable for UK market.
It's a whole new game soon.
And we haven't created the rules yet.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The NHS pay for insulin, if there has to be an import tariff added then the NHS will be slight more broke.........

......but that's a long way off yet, we haven't triggered article 50 yet.......and the potential of having a T1D prime minister would help us all!

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The NHS pay for insulin, if there has to be an import tariff added then the NHS will be slight more broke.........

......but that's a long way off yet, we haven't triggered article 50 yet.......and the potential of having a T1D prime minister would help us all!

A prime minister with Medicare/Bupa/Secret service, and a lot of friends.
I don't think she would ever pop down to the pharmacy for a prescription.
I hate to say it, but I think it would be worse, as she probably thinks everyone has private insurance, and it would be one less burden if all us diabetics simply claimed off that, rather than being a burden on the NHS.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi!

Well I'm not worried, other countries outside of the EU seem to manage just fine.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate to say it, but I think it would be worse, as she probably thinks everyone has private insurance, and it would be one less burden if all us diabetics simply claimed off that, rather than being a burden on the NHS.

How cynical of you.........;)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi!
No concerns at all as my insulin is manufactured in the UK :)

S

Shar67

she will be getting her prescriptions free through NHS, why would you pay for something you get free.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
she will be getting her prescriptions free through NHS, why would you pay for something you get free.

Because a man from Bupa comes and makes sure it's in her fridge.
She won't be popping down the chemist on the way home from work as Prime Minister.

S

Shar67

@SunnyExpat
I don't go to the doctor or chemist for mine it's delivered to my door, all I do (my PA does this) is make a phone call, she will have a PA to take delivery and put in fridge. She will have to pay the PA anyway (from taxpayer expenses) so she can still get her prescriptions free. My PA is getting carer allowance to do this kind of thing

Maybe we can have a FOI and ask her.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just picked our prescriptions up from the pharmacy. This month we have Lantus from France. I've convinced my daughter once she starts using the new batch, she will be fluent in French ;)

You could realy freak her out during preparation for school tomorrow by telling her she's cycling in. Don't forget the beret & string of onions...!? ;)

S

Shar67

I love French breakfast, it's the only thing I miss at Christmas, that was our tradition until illness

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'll also make her a really healthy french breakfast consisting of croissant and hot chocolate! :D

Put the dining table & seating outside.. "Have we been evicted mum?"
No, we've gone "continental". ;)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Where was insulin pre EU? Not sure of its history.

Looking forward to Britain producing its own again. Maybe chemists won't feel the need to train here and work in the US.
More jobs in britain. Well paid ones too.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Avideo describing the production of Insulin. (in Denmark)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
If everyone is that worried change over to porcine or bovine insulin as it's made in Wales :)

Reactions: 4 people