Insulin Pump Dangerous? And Omnipod

Pota

Hello

Im currently considering getting an Insulin pump.
Tho im kinda affraid of it. Ive heard people get injected with all the insulin, cause of priming and other defecting stuff with the pumps.
Is this EXTREMLY rare, non existent in todays pumps?

People has also told me its fairly easy that the needle gets stuck and you quickly go into ketoacidose. Is this something every pump user experience? or is this also extremly rare?

Does the pump has any safety checks which avoids the things ive mentioned above?

Ive also looked at the Omnipod, for me doing sprinting and working out twice a day it seems fantastic! Anyone got experience with this and omnipod?

mummy78

Re: R: Insulin Pump Dangerous? And Omnipod

I'm using an insulin pump ( Medtronic Minimed since 2009) and never had such problems :). Personally using my insulin pump is making my life much easier (I can even download my results from the pump to a special private website and my doctor can analyse them online) but, as everything, it needs attention and knowledge. Your consultant will help you to take the right decision. I'm here if u need more info :)

~ Arianna ~

Pota

mummy78 said:
I'm using an insulin pump ( Medtronic Minimed since 2009) and never had such problems :). Personally using my insulin pump is making my life much easier (I can even download my results from the pump to a special private website and my doctor can analyse them online) but, as everything, it needs attention and knowledge. Your consultant will help you to take the right decision. I'm here if u need more info :)

~ Arianna ~

Yeah, it can certainly give me more freedom. But im just affraid of the dangerous side-effects. Injecting all dose at once just sounds very very scary, and getting ketoacidose to!

mummy78

Pota said:
mummy78 said:

~ Arianna ~

Yeah, it can certainly give me more freedom. But im just affraid of the dangerous side-effects. Injecting all dose at once just sounds very very scary, and getting ketoacidose to!

You're right, but you just need to pay attention to it :) it's a machine, a sort of small robot, and it works only if you wants it to work in a certain way :)

A few months ago, after almost 5 years, my insulin pump had a small problem but it simply stopped to dispense insuline (better stopping than giving too much:) ).

The only problem could be the relative inconvenience of having this sort of small box always with u. If u like swimming, for example, and if u swim everyday the insulin pump could be a bit annoying.

In any case, using it or not it's a very personal experience. Someone loves it and someone hates it. But I think it's only a matter of personal taste. Don't worry about ketoacidose. It's extremely rare and it won't happen if you are a careful person :)

May I ask your age? Statistically young people find it easier to use :)

~ Arianna ~

Pota

25, im not affraid for not learning it, cause i work as a computer scientist :)

Im just affraid it can do something wrong, like injecting to much insulin. Well it seems like you have had good experience with it!
Just makes me tired from time to time to get spikes in my blood glucose due to fatty food. Seems great with a system which I for example can give 3 units over a period of 4 hours or so :) Cause thats possible?

mummy78

Pota said:
25, im not affraid for not learning it, cause i work as a computer scientist :)

Im just affraid it can do something wrong, like injecting to much insulin. Well it seems like you have had good experience with it!
Just makes me tired from time to time to get spikes in my blood glucose due to fatty food. Seems great with a system which I for example can give 3 units over a period of 4 hours or so :) Cause thats possible?

Definitely possible :)
You are young and you know technology: You won't do anything wrong :) And, BTW, the new generation pumps have tons of customizable alarm signals :) beeee biiip :)
Why don't you just try it for a while ? Ask your doctor, maybe you can just try it for a month or so.

~ Arianna ~

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You might also be interested to know the UK has a system in place to manage recalls for medical devices. Everything, not just insulin pumps.

You can see the latest info here
http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Publications/Safetywarnings/MedicalDeviceAlerts/index.htm

There is one for a pump on there (Paradigm), from August this year.

I don't use a pump, so I cant say how well the recall system works, but maybe someone else can.