1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin Pump. Pros & Cons?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by T1Taz, Apr 24, 2014.

1. T1Taz

T1Taz Type 1 · Member

I'm new to the forum & I've read so much on here about the benefits of the insulin pump. I'm living in Ireland & feel my endo was doing nothing to help me improve my diabetes, no new information, each appointment felt like a free lecture for student doctors, I always end up being the one asked what I think cos I have it so long. So I'm waiting on an appointment with a new consultant at another hospital. I'd like to look into getting a pump but want to have my research dome which is where you guys come in.
    I've 2 kids under 6 & pillow fights & wrestling are a daily occurance. What are the chances of a pump being pulled out?

2. fig

fig Type 1 · Well-Known Member

i have a 2y6m old and a 1y4m old and i have had my pump for 3 weeks with no mishaps as yet. I was worried too as i feel like i am constantly carrying one of them and thought it would get pulled out but it hasn't happened yet and the longer i have it the less i am noticing it myself which is all good, so far ;)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I have had more grief from the knobs on the kitchen cupboards and my own clothing than I have from my boisterous little ones. A little education is required of course.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

• Like Like x 4
  4. Marykly

Marykly Type 1 · Member

Hi

I wish u best luck with pump
    Im irish but live in england
    My 4 yr old has type 1
    Im looking into pump as he is black and blue with the injections
    But we only found out oct 2013
    So its still all new to us
    Plus we need to b on for 1yr before we think about pump

• Like Like x 2
  5. T1Taz

T1Taz Type 1 · Member

Thanks guys & gals, I don't have any other diabetics to ask so it's great to know ye're here. The doctors can only tell me so much, it's yer experiences I needed to hear,
    Thanks Averil :)

6. Patch13

Patch13 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had a pump for 2 years now. Before that I had injections for about 14yrs.

Pro:
    I can adjust my basal rate depending on the time of day which allows me better control. For some people I believe this is really beneficial in the morning because of the dawn phenomenon.

For high fat meals (eg if you've eaten a pizza, creamy curry etc) you can take some insulin straightaway and extend the rest over a given time period, for example 5 hours. This I find helpful to avoid hypos.

1 injection about every 2-3 days for me.

Cons:
    A lot of work to set up initially ( lots of testing BG and adjusting). But for me this has definitely been worth it now.

More stuff to carry in my bag (I carry around a spare insulin pen incase the pump fails, pump supplies etc).

I've probably forgotten some points so i will add them later if I think of anything else!

I would recommend a pump :)

• Like Like x 6
  7. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

in 5 months I've pulled mine out twice - once mums dog did it (i didnt tidy my wires away properly) and the second time was I think a faulty set it just came away. but it happens and its not a big deal! pros far outweigh cons

• Like Like x 2
  8. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

First of all do your research, ie, buy yourself the book pumping insulin by John Walsh. Can be bought on amazon.
    Can you carb count and adjust your insulin to your daily needs?
    Pump cannulas do not get pulled out unless a faulty one with very little stick or if you do not take the simple precaution of taping the tubing. Which means a small bit of tape across the tubing a couple of cm from the cannula. Thus if the pump tubing is pulled the tape takes the strain. No tubing is on show but if you have long tubing just roll it like a hose pipe and tape. I've pumped for over 7 years and only ever pulled the cannula out once and that was due to breaking the simple rule of not using a bit of tape.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Hooked

Hooked · Guest

I'm due to start my pump next week. When a DSN mentioned pump to me a gawked at the thought of it, tubes, cannulas etc.
    But I have to say what got me over that initial fear of the unknown was reading on here and watching lots of the youtube videos you can find if you do a search on there for "insulin pump".
    Good luck, hope the new hospital is much better. Don't forget, you can always ask for the students to leave if you feel you are being used as a teaching exercise rather than being treated as a patient.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's my goal, but how do you achieve that unless the pump has a full functionality remote?

• Like Like x 2
  11. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Pump is either in my pocket or on my pocket or waistband tubing is tucked under shirt or tucked into my trousers. At very most 3 inches of tubing is on show if attached to my pocket. Never had anyone comment or notice it. Having the tape across the tubing to stop the pull on the cannula has worked for situations where sheep sheering is taking place or worming cattle or trimming horses feet. If foot trimming the horses though the pump always went in my back pocket out of the way just in case a foot was waved to close for comfort.

• Like Like x 6
  12. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

For women, I recommend lycra knickers......fantastic at keeping a set in place

• Like Like x 2
  13. Topher

Topher Type 1 · Well-Known Member

T1 tax, where in Ireland are you based, I'm in dublin and there is a T1 group that meet up once a month, half the group are on pumps , and have loads of good advice, let me know if you want more info

• Like Like x 4
  14. JamieY

JamieY Type 1 · Newbie

I have been on a pump for two years. I have a two year old who thinks I'm a climbing frame and I work as a teacher in a pupil referral unit where scraps are broken up daily. Never has a cannula been pulled out or even come close.
    A pump was a new way of life for me and I would recommend one without doubt.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Harlow1

Harlow1 Type 1 · Newbie

My 13 year old son is due to start using an Omnipod next week but he plays rugby and is a forward (prop). Have no idea how to manage this.

16. JamieY

JamieY Type 1 · Newbie

If it's the same as a medtronic pump, or in principal you just take it off and test at half time.

17. T1Taz

T1Taz Type 1 · Member

Hi Topher,
    I'm in kerry :-(

18. Julie1471

Julie1471 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've had mine since Nov 13, better than I could have expected. Easier control, would not hive it up. But a lot of hard work, but well worth it.

• Like Like x 4
  19. runner2009

runner2009 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

This made me laugh spiker. I though I was the only one with that problem.
    It is actually worse when the wire to my earphones get wrapped around those nobs too

• Like Like x 2
  20. C burns

C burns · Well-Known Member

Pros
    Less hypos
    Less injections
    Better flexibility for exercise
    I now eat when I'm hungry rather than feeding my insulin

Cons
    Nd to carry lots of spares

Ps I gave a 3 year old son and 4 year old daughter and a very busy life. I love my pump and I wouldn't give it up for anything! I would strong recommend an insulin pump to most people

• Like Like x 4
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook