insulin pump!

RhiannaMorgan

hey there :) I'm 17, and was diagnosed in December with type 1... my levels have been kinda hard to control so I'm being put on a pump next week. Does anyone have any advice for the first few days or anything to do with the pump? I'm nervous but more excited, advice would be great! Thank you:)

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi!

I don't have a pump so I can't help with that, sorry! I'm kind of Interested in one though as I eat more than 3 times a day usually so I'm sick of the 5 or 6 injections!

What did you do to get one? I've only been diagnosed since the end of February and I'd kinda gotten the impression you had to have been diagnosed for a while first. My control hasn't been that bad to be honest but I think I'm still in the honeymoon period

Cody

I've been on the pump for 4 months now. Have been type 1 for 25 years so been through many changes through the times of insulins changing. I had to do a bit of work before being fitted with the pump but its worth it in the end. It's pretty weird to start in the 1st week but I was advised to take a week off work which I did and would recommend to anyone as its quite a big deal changing sets to start with. I can change the set now in 2 mins as long as it used to take me to undo and pull my trousers down to inject. Only problem I've had was when putting sets into my legs as I'm pretty skinny but just don't put it there anymore. My control is now 10 times better than before and it's the best thing I've done

lindz91

Hey

Ive been on the pump for nearly a year nw and i knw what you mean abut the changes. It took a while to get used to it aswell. Especially the sets and the changing ov them. I have found the easiest please to put has been my stomache or my bum cheek. I do wish i had tried it sooner as my bloody are 100% beta then they have ever been the 7 years i have beem type1. Deffinatly the best thing i have ever done by a mile

RhiannaMorgan

thanks guys! I was told by my nurse that I would get one as I haven't had a honeymoon period and I find it hard to control. I'm looking forward to it, little nervous thou! one more day of injections now. I'm usually injecting 5-7 times a day, so it will be a huge relief!