insulin pumps and weight loss

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Is it true that going onto a insulin pump can possibly make you lose weight, its not that i need to drastically lose weight but i could do with losing maybe half a stone to a stone. If not could anyone advise me the best way to lose weight once i go onto a pump (which will probably be next friday)

Thanks
Tracey167

jopar

It very much depends what caused the weight gain..

If you've been feeding excess insulin with carbs, or you've had to maintain a higher carb intake because of the lack of ability of MDI of fine tuning.. Then a pump may help

But in truth, if you don't look at the diet side of things, to determin whether you are eating more calories in the day than your body really requires to maintain a healthy weight then the pump is going to make little difference to weight... Just means you have more stable blood glucose..

When I went on my pump 2 years ago, I had hoped that I would put on weight as I'm border line underweight, but alas no difference..

Even though some do say that they found their weight increase slightly for the first 6 months then stablised..