Insulin question

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok I'm finally getting my head around Insulin and wondered if anyone can suggest a good Basal drug ? I'm gathering that this will need to be taken twice day ? A bolus is the one you use with meals,is that right ?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
yeah, bolus is for meal time, for your carbs..................insulin like Novorapid falls under that category and can last up to 5 hours.......

basal insulin's take care of the livers output, insulin like Levemir, Lantus and Humulin I fall under that category........Lantus is usually a single dose as it last longer and Levemir is usually twice daily as it last between 12-18 hours, both Levemir and Lantus have been known to be used as a single and split dose though....

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good explanation above. There's also a new basal insulin available that only come on the market last year, it's called Tresiba and by all accounts it's a very good insulin, whether or not they will put you straight onto this insulin without trying the likes of levemir/lantus first is debatable.

There's also an explanation on the Community pages of DCUK about what a basal/bolus insulin regime is:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/insulin/basal-bolus.html

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all .Those two Levemir and Lantus i've seen listed a lot so I guess they are the starter drug of choice but hey @noblehead ,can't hurt to ask about Tresiba :) Just read the bolus,basal article ,thanks

Reactions: 2 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a read around on the Insulin forum (Diabetes Management / Medication / Insulin) as well maybe Susie. I got the impression from there that when people don't get on with basal, it's usually Lantus that they don't get on with, Levemir being perhaps preferable?

Dr B prefers Levemir because it doesn't go off so soon :

"WHY I NO LONGER USE LANTUS INSULIN

The package insert for Lantus insulin warns that it may lose potency 30 days after the stopper of the vial has been punctured, even if it is stored in the refrigerator. One would have to inject at least 30 units of this insulin daily in order for this to make sense economically, if we consider that there is another long-acting insulin, Levemir, that lasts twice as long"
I'm still on NPH, but tho unfashionable it seems to suit me. No breath of a hypo, ever (touch wood).

Lucy

Last edited by a moderator:

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No indeed. It really seems to be a case of trial and error, but paying attention if something doesn't work. (Cos no one else will do it for you! Lonely days ... )

elaine77

They wanted me on a mixed insulin to start with so I'm on humulin m3 I think and only take it twice a day. My levels are between 4mmol and 7mmol all the time it's amazing!!

Reactions: 4 people

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They wanted me on a mixed insulin to start with so I'm on humulin m3 I think and only take it twice a day. My levels are between 4mmol and 7mmol all the time it's amazing!!

Well done Elaine! I'm really pleased you've got your levels under control and are settling into your new insulin regime.

Smidge

elaine77

My levels came down immediately and although it's amazing it's still awful having to inject and test blood it hurts and I bruise and bleed a lot but it's a price I have to pay....

Susiespearish

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
My levels came down immediately and although it's amazing it's still awful having to inject and test blood it hurts and I bruise and bleed a lot but it's a price I have to pay....

Yep ,not looking forward to that but those are great levels Elaine ! x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have your pen on a smaller setting, and click the side of your pad,,I milk a drop of blood, starting at the base of the finger and moving up, no need for it to just bleed

elaine77

I already do that and my pen is as small as possible and 4mm micro fine. My body just doesn't like injections I guess

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Dr B prefers Levemir because it lasts longer, and there's an obscure cancer risk

Lucy, the link between lantus and developing cancer was put to bed around 2 years ago, if you Google the two you should find the results of the study.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I already do that and my pen is as small as possible and 4mm micro fine. My body just doesn't like injections I guess

Make sure to use a new needle every time Elaine as this will reduce the chances of injection site problems, also remember to leave the needle in the skin for 10-12 seconds to give the insulin time to disperse, have a look at the following which has some good advice on injecting insulin:

http://www.bd.com/us/diabetes/page.aspx?cat=7001&id=7261

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I bleed about once in 10 in injections and when I do I get a really bad black bruise that lasts about 2weeks and reduces my number of sites I can inject into. I'm very small and have little enough surface area for injecting and at minimum 5 injections a day, I really struggle with this.

Smidge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I bleed about once in 10 in injections and when I do I get a really bad black bruise that lasts about 2weeks and reduces my number of sites I can inject into. I'm very small and have little enough surface area for injecting and at minimum 5 injections a day, I really struggle with this.

Smidge

A pump would be ideal for you Smidge, have you not thought about it?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucy, the link between lantus and developing cancer was put to bed around 2 years ago, if you Google the two you should find the results of the study.
Thanks, Noblehead. Missed me, as I'm a new girl!

elaine77

I already use a new injection every time and rotate sites but it makes no difference. Sometimes it's fine but most of the time it hurts or bleeds or bruises or all of those things. I'm sure i'll get used to it though.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Lantus and Levemir appear to be the most prescribed Basals. Levemir doesn't last quite as long during the day as Lantus and is therefore split more often. I've read that Lantus stings a bit more than Levemir but as I've only ever had Levemir I can't confirm that. BTW I only inject my Levemir once a day as I use the mealtime Bolus (NovoRapid) to take care of the 12-18 hour life of the Basal. I take the Levemir at night and as it's quite active in the morning I don't take the Bolus for breakfast unless it's a big meal. This saves 1 to 2 injections per day.