Insulin resistance

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hi all. I've not been on here for a while. I guess things have been going well with my diabetes but I am starting to slide a little off track.

I was diagnosed 18 months ago in my early 40's with a BG of 26, having had weight issues for many years. I lost 6 stone last year and managed to get my bmi to 26 & my BG control real tight. I was a star patient with my GP but my blood pressure was ridiculously high at 165/110. My GP said this was acceptable and at my last visit, he accused me of being completely obsessed with my health and told me in no uncertain terms that the practice would not prescribe me any medication to lower my blood pressure and I would have to buy any tablets myself.

I was taken aback by the whole thing so set out to try and lower my blood pressure naturally. The past 6 months have helped me do this but I don't know how long I can keep it up and it's causing me other issues as well.

I already had an extremely healthy diet with 2 x metformin so I set out to increase my exercise from my daily 1hr brisk walk to a run. 6 months on, I am an established distance runner having completed lots of road races at 10k plus and running a half marathon next week. My blood Pressure is still high but more reasonable at 140/90.

All good stuff, but it's come at a price. I run for 2 hrs every other day with a 4 hr run at weekends. I have found any less and my blood pressure creeps up. This is putting pressure on myhome life as I'm not spending the time with not only the wife and kids but also neglecting the wider family. My other issue is my eating and weight control.

I have actually gained about 1/2 stone giving me a Bmi of 26.7 which makes me quite overweight if you look at the charts. I am having to eat so much more to give me the energy for the runs. Coupled with this, my db nurse had told me that she intends reducing my metformin to 1 per day & I have been trying but feel awful if I don't take both for a couple of days or more.

I know that t2 can be a resistance to insulin and wonder if it's this that's a vicious circle with my exercise. I have to eat more to run, my body produces more insulin as a result that I can't use and stashes a good chunk of my food as fat not giving me the benefit. I'm actually wondering if I should be increasing rather than decreasing my metformin and also how long I can keep up this high level of training without something giving - either my knees or my marriage and wondering whether to push the issue for blood pressure tablet help.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Firstly great work with the weight loss and bp reduction without meds :D

Your doctors attitude towards your blood pressure seems very odd to me, I would think any doctor not willing to prescribe bp lowering meds when a patient presents with a bp of 165/110 is in need of some retraining. I would ask to see another doctor personally and get a second opinion. Tell them that you are now eating more to power your running which in turn is causing some weight gain.

I was prescribed bp lowering meds when my bp was lower than yours, I have now stopped the diuretics but still take ramipril and adizem.

Id be interested to hear others opinions on this matter.

As for the running, would it make any difference if you replaced some of your running with swimming which I believe is good for a heart workout and you could ask the wife and kids to join you, killing two birds etc Just a thought.

ps. just read the Wii thread, have you considered getting one of these, again the family could join in.

C

catherinecherub

Hi,
I would like to say well done on your weight loss, you really have done well.

IMHO diabetes has come first in your life to the detriment of the rest. Do you class yourself as a man with a lovely family, a good life who happens to have diabetes or a diabetic with a lovely family and a good life? You have to get the balance right for everyone who loves you and cares for you and yourself.
If diabetes is threatening everyone's emotional happiness then you have to make changes that suit everyone.

The blood pressure issue amazes me as your Dr. has a duty of care and you have obviously tried so hard to get it down. There are members here on the cusp of an acceptable level for diabetics, 120/80, and they are given medication. You have to make a stand over this.

The BMI is outdated and does not give a clear picture of the fat ratio of your body mass or how much is muscle.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... key=139331
As long as you feel happy at your weight that is all that really matters. The irony is that normal weight Type 2's are classed as metabolically obese because they have excessive fat around their organs. Unless we are all tested, nobody knows how much fat they are carrying. As with diabetes, weight is another thing where one size does not fit all

I have no experience of Metformin so cannot advise on that point. I do know that it has heart benefits and is becoming more and more recognised as a possible medication for other conditions..

I hope this has helped and you find peace in whatever way you choose to go forward as you do not needed that added risk of stress.

Please keep in touch as it helps to speak to others with diabetes when the going gets tough.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know how much time running can take up. Why not diversify.
For runs in the week don't just run . Go out for shorter runs but vary them, not quantity but quality as they would say on runner's forums. Introduce a bit of interval running or fartlek.(look it up, it's not a rude word!).
Four hours is an awful long time for a weekend run, I have been running for that time for the long runs before a marathon but not normally. Again why not diversify, substitute at least some of the running for things that you can do as a family. Long walks, make them interesting by doing some geocaching http://www.geocaching.com/. How about orienteering, that can be done as a run for the more competitive or as a walk and involves people of all ages from 5 to 80+ . It's a great way for a family to take part in some fun exercise on (normally) a Sunday morning.

Kenny

If I were you, this is what I would do:

Reduce the exercise to running only for 30 minutes every day. Drop the metformin completely and eat a healthy low carb diet. Stop drinking alcohol altogether. Do a starvation diet for a month or so in order to rid organs of fat (see 600calorie diet Newcastle study). Drink a liter of chilled hibiscus tea every day (improves circulation and lowers BP). Wait patiently for a couple of years while peripheral insulin resistance disappears. Also, consider doing some resistance exercise every day like bicep curls and stuff like that.

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi theblokefromstoke

It certainly sounds as if you've done incredibly well in spite of your doctor! I have to say, I'm astounded that your doctor isn't prescribing medication for your high blood pressure. It's way above any of the guidelines, surely. I am on Ramipril for much much lower blood pressure.

Your exercise seems excessive in order to keep your blood pressure down, to the potential detriment of other health situations.

I would suggest you either see a different doctor, voicing your concerns, situations and implications to your family and alternative health, with a view to getting meds for your blood pressure and possibly for your diabetes.

If you still don't getting any satisfactory answers, you are entitled to a 'Second Opinion', which would mean seeing someone in the speciality at the hospital clinic.

I really think you need to see another doctor and hopefully they will have a different outlook on your situation. Good luck