Insulin Resistance

Orchid

Hi

I was wondering whether type 1's as they get a little older can develop insulin resistance in a similar way to type 2s. Despite following a low carb diet, I'm finding that I still need a quite a bit of insulin to keep the numbers down. Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Orchid

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi Orchid,

Yes, it's quite possible for a type 1 to develop insulin resistance. This is called 'double diabetes',
as it shares common symptoms of both type 1 (no insulin production) and type 2 (significant
insulin resistance).

Regards,
timo.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'd agree, but I'd also say it's probably reversible over time. Weight loss, carb restriction and lower insulin demands are the key.

All the best,

fergus

KimSuzanne

It can happen I become resistant to the insulin I'm using over time - usually ahve to change the insulin and then I'm fine. Good diet, not overweight just awkward!

Orchid

Thanks for your responses. I noticed in another thread that someone said exercise will help insulin resistance - maybe another good idea to get in more exercise. :)

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
That's right, Orchid.

Although genetics can play a part in your levels of insulin resistance, regular exercise,
insulin/carb moderation and shedding any excess weight will all improve insulin sensitivity.

Good luck,
timo.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
HI Orchid, firstly you are on "analogue insulin" not insulin. Of course excercise and altering your diet will help all of us type-1s, changing "insulin" may also help.
I'd been on synthetic insulins for 15 years when I was changed to Lantus. My blood sugars had always been erratic, but things went downhill fast, and I had no consistency day-to-day. I also started to think I was developing insulin resistence. However since I changed to pork insulin last May, I've achieved the best control I've ever had, and I feel better generally. If you think changing "insulin" is an option for you contact the IDDT for advice, tel. no. is on their website which is easy to find.
May not be the answer for you, but definately worth some serious thought.
Good luck
Jus

Orchid

Hi Janabelle

Thanks for your post. I currently take Novorapid and Lantus. Any idea what the Pork equivalent of these insulins could be?

Thanks
Orchid

janabelle

Dislikes
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
HI Orchid, the eqivalent-ish is Hypurin Porcine Isophane(long acting) and Hypurin Porcine Neutral (short acting). I take my long-acting in a split dose, morn and night. The Neutral takes longer to act than your Rapid-acting, but I find it gentler in action which results in less hypos..
I attended my local Diabetes UK meeting this evening, where a local Hospital Diabetes Consultant was in attendence. I queried him over the Human/Animal insulin issue, and he told me that newly diagnosed patients, and patients having problems were not offered it mainly because doctors these days are uneducated in Animal Insulin administering, ie;doses.
I so wish I had been offered Animal Insulin years ago.
As I said before, the IDDT(Insulin Dependent Diabetes Trust) are the best people to advice if you really are considering a change.
Take care
Jus

Orchid

Hi Jannabelle

Thanks again. Can you tell me in what format these insulins are available - e.g. can you get them in pens or is it back to syringes and bottles of insulin. To be honest I've done both over the years, so if I really decided to change - I wouldn't make a decision on this alone.

Thanks
Orchid

janabelle

Dislikes
Having RP
HI Orchid, You can do either. I'm gonna switch my short-acting to a pen, just to avoid confusion! Personally I'm a vial and syringe kind of girl, but have a history of making daft errors, and ended up in hospital once after injecting a huge dose of my short acting, having mistook it for my long acting.
Anyway it's available in pens with cartridges or vials for syringes-whatever you prefer.
Hope that helps.
Jus :)