Insulin sensitivity increase?

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, I have been doing basal/bolus for about 7 weeks now and the last 3 or 4 days have seen some lows, one hypo and three or four readings in the low 4s. Now that I have got my blood sugar under better control, is it the case that I am now more sensitive to insulin perhaps and need to lower my units? Would you lower your basal, your bolus or drop both of them a bit?

Any advice gratefully received.

Ali

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would always test the basal dose first as changing the bolus when the basal isn't bang on is counter productive........

its actually wise to check your basal on a regular basis, this is on top of illness and increases in activity levels etc......

once a month I will try and do it, I don't manage a full 24 hours, but I will try........

what basal insulin and dose are you on..?

Reactions: 2 people

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
HI, Novorapid as my bolus and Levemir as my basal. I take 24 units morning and evening of Levemir.

James Lyme

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It isn't a good idea to make changes to both at the same time as whatever your results you won't know which insulin is responsible.
Testing your basal first is a good idea. It is recommended to adjust it in 10% stages and wait a few days, not altering your bolus dose. So if you're taking 24 twice a day, change it to 22 or 21u and see how your body reacts. Keep a notebook and document your results. If you notice they are too high then increase one unit per dose every few days. If you notice you are then hypo'ing or going into low ranges then perhaps it is your bolus. In that case you will need to look at changing your ratios.
Keep your basal to 24u and look at having less bolus with each meal. If you do this gradually you will be able to work out the correct dose of basal you require per meal or per carbohydrate intake.
There is also the possibility it is the food you are eating. Slow acting carbohydrate, if eaten at the same time as a full bolus dose, will give you a hypo before your food has been able to break down into sugar. In that case you will hypo, treat the hypo with glucose, then consequently go high later when the sugar from the food has been released.
It is also worth mentioning that I have been T1 for 2 years and still experience dramatic fluctuations in bolus requirements from one day to the next. There is no real explanation for it, your body simply becomes more or less insulin resistant.
If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.