Insulin Timing of Lantus and NovoRapid

Janr20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needlephobia giving insulin
Hi I'm type 2 using insulin twice a day. NovoRapid is timed for evening meal followed by Lantus daily at 2130.

I'm new to insulin still coming to terms with it, requiring it, giving it and what happens if I stuff up. Plus combined with short term memory loss and needle phobia.

Quite often when I'm overseas they like to have late lunches and late evening dinners (tea). Means it's a domino effect with NovoRapid and Lantus very close together. Last lot of hypos no specific warning signs.

Similar scenario is also starting to happen at home . I'm keen to avoid any hypos. Always believe prevention is better than the cure.

Is there anything I can do to minimise possible hypo because of it? Any suggestions for a plan A and a plan B ? Blood sugars are taken before each type of insulins

@Mep @leslie10152 @ickihun @azure

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm type 2 using insulin twice a day. NovoRapid is timed for evening meal followed by Lantus daily at 2130.

I'm new to insulin still coming to terms with it, requiring it, giving it and what happens if I stuff up. Plus combined with short term memory loss and needle phobia.

Quite often when I'm overseas they like to have late lunches and late evening dinners (tea). Means it's a domino effect with NovoRapid and Lantus very close together. Last lot of hypos no specific warning signs.

Similar scenario is also starting to happen at home . I'm keen to avoid any hypos. Always believe prevention is better than the cure.

Is there anything I can do to minimise possible hypo because of it? Any suggestions for a plan A and a plan B ? Blood sugars are taken before each type of insulins

Hi @Janr20 - From what you're saying it is possible you need to move your lantus dose to a different time maybe? Either that or you may need to adjust your dosage if you're having hypos. I take Lantus at 8.30 pm every day and that only a couple of hours after I eat. I don't have issues with hypos usually. I still get the odd hypo at night though. You may find this site helpful in regard to basal testing: http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007. If you're having issues with your quick acting insulin with meals it may be you need to work out what your insulin need is... although carb counting is a great place to start and this free online course I found helpful for that: https://www.bertieonline.org.uk/admLogin.asp You always start on the 1 unit of quick acting insulin per 10g anyhow as recommended in this course.... although you may find you need more than that depending on your findings on your meter. For me I need more insulin per 10g but probably because I also have insulin resistance. I wish you the best. :)

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

Hypos are indicators that tell you to adjust your dosage. I will frequently raise or lower my dose according to situation and physical activity. This is where a diary comes in handy to record time and events where hypos and hypers occur.

Janr20

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needlephobia giving insulin
Hypos are indicators that tell you to adjust your dosage. I will frequently raise or lower my dose according to situation and physical activity. This is where a diary comes in handy to record time and events where hypos and hypers occur.
I am using SmartLog app on iPhone to record all Bsl and insulin dose recordings as I will Not remember them. It's my electronic diary.

Blue_Star

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello. I inject lantus 15 units one hour before bedtime. The recent problem I'm having for the past 4 days is that I have been going hypo at before going to sleep, so I have to eat a snack. The problem with that is i go a bit high before breakfast. Should I adjust my lantus time and take it a bit later in the evening?
I have tried taking the dose in morning and I sometime I'm high and sometime low, so that doesn't work for me at all and my doctor suggested it's best I take at evening or before bed.

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I’m on Lantus twice a day and I don’t have it at set times!

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After being on Lantus for 9 years I've learnt spilting the Lantus into 2 injections gives a better even coverage over 24 hours. 10 units at 10am and 8 units 10pm.

I used to have 20 units at night then would get hypos early hours of the morning and hypers in the afternoon/evening. Swapped to 20 units in the morning and the problem would be reversed. The Lantus doesn't last 24 hours. It tales off after about 16 hours and peaks at 6 hours. Did some basal testing and found the ideal amount I need in the daytime and at night time.