1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insulin to carb??

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by sarahm723, Mar 7, 2018.

1. sarahm723

sarahm723 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

7units covers my 30g of porridge perfect every morning .. 12 units covers my 2 slices homemade brown bread with turkey rashers and eggs . And evening now I’m having a chicken stir fry no sauces with uncle bend long grain 48g bagged uncooked rice ... I’m doing a week of all the same foods to try find my ratio... should I take 12 units ? I’m not sure .. I’m thinking I’m 1 unit of nova rapid to every 4 grams carb sorry if I should stupid

2. Books1

Books1 LADA · Well-Known Member

We can't advise on ratios you need to work out the carbs for your meals and then you can divide the total carbs by the number of units of novorapid to give you a rough guide.
    Protein can also affect the numbers - hence why not a perfect calculation
    Your diabetes nurse should be able to give you some guidance

Frances

3. SueJB

SueJB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I'm fairly new, Aug last year and the simple fact is I don't want to be a diabetic but I am. So,I try and be in control. I know my body needs insulin but it's the fat making hormone so I don't want to overdose on it. This is a long-winded way of saying I don't eat lots of carbs, about 15-30g per day so usually not one of my meals is over 10g. I worked out my insulin to carb ration as around 1:15. This means for the last 2 weeks I haven't done any bolus. You'll need to work out your own ratio as @Books1 says but you might like to try lower carb meals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook