insulin woes

Mr SgM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have been type 1 since 1986 and was orginally on Actrapid with meals and ultratard in the eve. I was a skinny 15 year old. This suited me well and my control was pretty good and i stayed a good weight whilst on this insulin regimen

I was moved over to the newer regimens about 15 years ago - on to Novorapid and insulatard and then in the latter few years from insulatard onto Lantus.

since coming off my original insulins, my weight steadily increased as did my insulin requirements (a bit of a vicious circle) - i now take big doses of all my insulins to keep my b. glucose in range - i have tried swapping from NR back to Actrapid and i do seem to need less of it (which is great), however, Actrapid no longer come in penfils , so i tried Humulin S, but this does not seem to work as well for me as Actrapid - i require much bigger doses!! - has anyone else found this?

I would also love to go back on Ultratard as this really seemed to make the difference with how much quick acting i needed through the day - they stopped making ultratard a long time ago and i seem to be stuck with lantus now (i take 80 u in the eve and sometimes have to take more in the morning or my b.glucose tends to rise throughout the day - this was what was happening when i was on the NR, less so with the Actrapid though)

anyone got any ideas? - i see my diabetologist in a month or so, but reckon he is as stumped as me

Yes, i should shift some weight (around 2 stone) and i know this will make a difference, perhaps drastically reducing starchy carbs is the only way, to use less insulin and start weight loss

any ideas will be welcome

thanks

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I think at the end you have answered your own question....

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

tizzy

I may be very wrong but levimir doesn't seem to cause weight gain like lantus I have read post that say this but please check it out first

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
From your insulin dosage of long acting and your own comments regarding cutting starchy carbs... I think you would see a change in insulin requirements and levels and weight from cutting the carbs.. It really seems from your posting that you know you may be having too many...

There is only so much that medicine can do.... So yep, it not gonna be a suggestion of changing insulins etc.. Just change your eating lifestyle

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I think your last bit about starchy carbs and moving 2 stone gives you the answer. It's very tempting to eat freely with insulin but the body just loves storing carbs as fat and raising blood sugar :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I used to be on Actrapid a few years ago and then it was discontinued, I must I was happy on it, but there's always changes and ' a better more efficient' Insulin is always being produced.

Mr SgM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks to all for your comments and replies

of course i could tighten up my lifestyle (who couldn't!!) - my main beef was / is that some insulins are less effective than others for me (actrapid seems to result in a better glycaemic control and on less of a dose)

NR does not hang around long enough in my system, so i need additional dose's throughout the day, even when not eating (it was not uncomon for me to be injecting 6 - 8 x / day on NR) - Hum S just does not work as well as Actrapid for me, i need more of it, similar to NR which is a shame as this is the nearest to Actrapid that i can get hold of in penfills

I may ask my consultant about Levemir or perhaps a pump??

cheers