1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Insurance company's and diabetis

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by Lewirussti, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Lewirussti

Lewirussti Type 2 · Member

Has any had there premiums put up by declaring that they are on insulin just new ish to site and noticed the inform insurance bit
    All I was ever told was notify
    Dvla.

2. czj

czj Type 1 · Well-Known Member

yes, you should notify your insurance company. They might increase your premiums slightly next year, but the main reason to do it is in case you have to make a claim. If you have an accident, even one which is not your fault, and you haven't told them you are diabetic they can, and probably will, refuse to pay your claim.

3. brettsza

brettsza Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am going through the process of getting a life insurance, its not straight forward i think, been a week now and still no news from insurers. Do you mind if i ask who are you with just in case the insurance company rejects me for whatever reason and I have to go to someone else.

4. Lewirussti

Lewirussti Type 2 · Member

I
    I am only insured via my mortgage and I have money set aside I case
    Well you know !
    cant bare the hAssell of the company's scrutiny feel like a leper.

Would be interested in other comments on insurance though !

5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

For car insurance being treated with insulin will have no effect on the premium you pay, if it does go up next year then it will just be in line with the usual annual increase in insurance that everyone has to pay.

Things like life insurance is expensive if you take them out after diagnosis, but if you didn't have diabetes before you took the policy out then it will not effect your premiums.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook