Insurance & Type 1

dowuchyalike

Hi Folks

A quick newbie intro from me before introducing the topic:

Male, 40 years old, type 1 since aged 14. Pump user since November 2009, basal-bolus pen user prior to that. Well controlled with HbA1c usually coming in around 6.

Ok, so, onto the story: I've not had my own car insurance policy for a good few years, having just been a named driver on my partner's policy and today I bought a car and called up a broker to see if they could find me a reasonably priced policy of my own. Get to the question about disabilities and I declared my diabetes and told the chap that it comes under "DVLA aware/No restrictions". He then asks me: "How many units of insulin per day do you take"? Well, I was somewhat flummoxed by this and told him that I was unable to answer the question accurately due to the fact that my total daily dosage can vary drastically depending on what I eat, whether I exercise or not, whether I'm stressed with work etc. etc. "Besides", I told him "a diabetic's daily dosage offers zero insight into how well controlled they are." He seemed to think I was being awkward and told me that he was obliged to provide insurance companies with this information and that he'd never had problems getting a response from other diabetics, which lead me to believe that such individuals must still be controlled by a twice-daily injection regime, because anyone on basal-bolus or a pump knows that the whole point of such is that you do have the flexibility to adjust dosages according to your habits and activities.

I came away from the conversation feeling annoyed that there is obviously some belief among insurance companies that large or small dosages are somehow indicative of good or bad control, when we, the sufferers of this condition, know full well that a myriad of factors (not least your age, weight and size!) can be involved in determining dosage and that these factors can change on a daily, if not an hourly basis.

I am reliably informed that insurance companies are forbidden by law to discriminate against customers with diabetes if the DVLA has seen fit to grant them a full licence with no restrictions and yet it would seem that policy adjustment is being made if such questions are still being asked.

Anybody had any similar experiences?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It isn't quite so clear cut.......depends if what you stated would amount to discrimination or just an Insurer trying to mitigate any possible losses. The interpretation may differ depending who you speak to.
Taking certain protected characteristics into account

It may sometimes be possible for an insurance business provider to refuse cover to someone or offer cover on different terms because of disability, sex, gender reassignment, or pregnancy and maternity.
If an insurance business provider wants to do this, they must be able to show that there is a difference in risk associated with one of these protected characteristics.

Slightly different tests apply for different protected characteristics.

If you want to plough through the Equality and Human Rights Act then here is a link........

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advi ... -services/

If you think you may have been discriminated against then you can make a complaint.

http://www.equalityhumanrights.com/advi ... d-against/

In any case .....shop around every time.

dowuchyalike

The broker called back this afternoon and quoted me £2000 for a year's insurance....yikes!

Aside from a lack of no claims bonus, there's nothing about my circumstances that would bump a quote up to those heady heights. Indeed, I have been discriminated against.

Well, I'm not sure I'll be pursuing a complaint but I'll certainly be going elsewhere to get my insurance!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
£2000................. :shock:

Definitely a good idea to shop around I think. :) There are some companies who will allow you a discount for being a named driver elsewhere. Keep looking !

Froobes

I find this even with my Diabetic Nurse (sorry to go off subject a little). But for every review I have she asks how many units I inject per day and as you said - it greatly depends! I couldn't give an accurate answer to the question as I never eat the same thing every day. Baffling! As per Insurance companies (the Diablo), I have the same car as my friend, a Peugot 106, same year of registration, we are the same age bad 2 months, we passed around the same time 3 years ago - I was a month earlier actually, live in the same village and are both fully comprehensive. I have tried various insurers but I'm always a few hundred pounds per year more expensive than she is. Neither of us have had accidents or have any points on our license. Why should I have to pay more insurance when I'm just as careful of a driver, always check my blood sugars and never leave anything to chance?!

dowuchyalike

Froobes said:
I find this even with my Diabetic Nurse (sorry to go off subject a little). But for every review I have she asks how many units I inject per day and as you said - it greatly depends! I couldn't give an accurate answer to the question as I never eat the same thing every day. Baffling! As per Insurance companies (the Diablo), I have the same car as my friend, a Peugot 106, same year of registration, we are the same age bad 2 months, we passed around the same time 3 years ago - I was a month earlier actually, live in the same village and are both fully comprehensive. I have tried various insurers but I'm always a few hundred pounds per year more expensive than she is. Neither of us have had accidents or have any points on our license. Why should I have to pay more insurance when I'm just as careful of a driver, always check my blood sugars and never leave anything to chance?!

I hear you Froobes and think your comment about the nurse is entirely relevant. The incident with the broker isn't the first time I've been asked this question - last year I had to have surgery on my right hip and in the pre-op clinic the week prior to op itself, I had both a nurse and my orthopaedic surgeon ask me exactly the same question. I won't even begin to tell you how they handled me, as a pump user, on the day of the op - that's another story altogether and a lengthy one at that.

Froobes

Completely sympathise, every time I have been in since being diagnosed 5 years ago I can feel my blood pressure rising at the frustration! Sometimes I wish a little more effort (and funding) was put in to research and education of staff! My sister is a nurse and whilst she was doing her training she can home one day absolutely flabberghasted, she had sat in on a Diabetic clinic with some trainee Doctors who didn't even know what a Pancreas was or it's use. Worrying!

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Trainee doctors used to be called medical students. Medical students these days get into clinic much earlier in their courses than they used to. So, the trainee doctors who didn't know about pancreases could be only a few weeks into their courses.

Froobes

Sorry that was probably my fault for the typo, completely agree with you. I should have mentioned they were 2nd year students, hence her shock. But even so, I would have thought if you were a trainee doctor you would still have had to have a high standard Biology A-Level to get on to a university course. I'm pretty sure Diabetes would be covered within A-Level learning.

zippycaz

Hi

Have you tried the online insurance comparison sites. Why not test them out and ask for a quote with Diabetes and without Diabetes, just to see what happens.

Also, Diabetes UK have their own insurance company, I use them for my travel insurance. May be worth giving them a ring or giving the Helpline a ring for advice on this.

Good Luck and let us know how you get on :)

x

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi dowuchyalike, although a'm T2 I thought I would share my experience with you, when I was diagnosed I was placed on insulin treatment and told to contact the DVLA and my vehicle insurance provider. The DVLA immediately revoked my driving licence but replaced it with a three year renewable on certain medical criteria ie no bad hypos and good control.

After dealing with the DVLA I then phoned my insurance providers, I have a car and a small van, neither the company who advertise with a bull dog or the company who advertise with a large red phone were remotely interested in my diabetes they just made a note on my policy and said that if the DVLA were happy they were unconcerned.

So I suggest you shop around and I personally would not bother with the compare sites as the companies who use them pay a commission which is passed on to the policy holders, therefore the recommended insurers are usually dearer, I know both the companies I currently use are conciderably cheaper than those available on the compare sites who quoted between £80 and £200 more on both vehicles.

Shop around is my advise :D

Elc1112

I had a similar issue a few years ago. Long and short of it, I declared that I was diabetic and that it was well-controlled etc., the insurers then tried to add a few hundred pounds to my premium as I was deemed to be a "high risk driver". To me that seemed a little odd. The DVLA is happy to give me a license, my doctor sees no reason whatsoever why I shouldn't drive, I make sure I avoid the roads if my sugar and low and so on. I realise there is a risk that sugar levels could drop while I am driving, but the insurers do not penalise people who have a history of fainting, for example.

I hope you manage to get it sorted. I have found many other insurers who will insure you with no added premium.

Best of luck!
E

alaska

A good thing about filling things out online is that you get standard questions and not so much 'prying'.

They ask you if you have a restricted license and not much more on the subject.

My car insurance as a brand new driver (mid-2010) was about £750.

malky

i have never had any problem with car insurance since being diagnosed 6 years ago i have always been with one of the Admiral Group companies, as they are always cheapest by a few hundred pounds, and they have no problem with me being type 1 it doesnt even ask, but i do tell them anyway, on there site nor does it ask about any restrictions on your license. I also thought that when describing the type of license it was DVLA aware but there are restrictions as is every type 1 case not a 3 year restricted license

True Bassist

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a 21 year old Type 1 and the only 'penalty' I've received so far regarding my Diabetes is a 3-year licence. No premium on insurance yet, which surprises me as I would have thought they'd try anything to get more money out of me!