Interesting article.

steveD

In the above mentioned article,this bit caught my eye.

<b>All were free to eat whatever they liked.</b> Researchers found that when the participants consumed caffeine, their average daily sugar levels went up eight per cent.

Could,nt it be what they were eating caused average sugar levels to rise?.If your average sugar levels were say 5.5mmols,would an 8% be significent? Your average would then be 5.94mmols.Perhaps,as in most things,moderation is the key.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Steve,

Sounds like this bit of research raises more questions than it answers.
If they were allowed free reign to eat whatever they liked, where is the control that allows caffiene intake to be measured?
Were they allowed to sweeten their coffee?
If so, what with?
Was the "caffiene" even in the form of coffee or one of the high-caffiene drinks (Red Bull) that have all sorts of other additives that also raise BS?

If I, as a non-scientist, can pick that many holes in the research then a description of 'flawed research' could be the understatement of the year (so far).

steveD

They were given a caffeine capsule which was the equivalent of 4 cups of coffee.The fact that they could eat what they wanted,made me question the validity of this type of research.It does'nt get any easier trying to see the wood for the trees:D

Poppy

As I am trying to find out what works for me or not, I did a test this morning. 1 cup of coffee and 1 tsp Splenda. No meds and nothing to eat.

BS starting 6.3.
+ 10 mins 7.0
+ 20 mins 7.6
+ 10 mins 8.0
+ 10 mins 7.6

Of course this might all be due to the Splenda, will try it without one morning

Sukaren

Oh God not more concerns for us, I wish all this time and energy by these "experts" would go into looking for a cure instead of this tinkering. However rant over Im inclined to agree with the points raised by Steve/Dennis.

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Poppy</i>
<br />As I am trying to find out what works for me or not, I did a test this morning. 1 cup of coffee and 1 tsp Splenda. No meds and nothing to eat.

BS starting 6.3.
+ 10 mins 7.0
+ 20 mins 7.6
+ 10 mins 8.0
+ 10 mins 7.6

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Too many variables there. Was the coffee black? If there was nothing to eat after you woke that could be simply dawn effect (see http://www.diabetic-talk.org/dp.htm) I would suggest that you use those results to remind you to eat your breakfast reasonably soon after rising. Were you physically active during that period?

I have never had any change in blood glucose levels that could be attributed to any artificial sweetener or to coffee, and I test rather more often than most. However, I did cut milk from my morning coffee because that did affect my post-breakfast BG's.

Alan, T2, Australia

Everything in Moderation - Except Laughter

Lynda Kay

Add to it that caffiene is an addictive, mind altering drug aligned with cocain and crack.

Read these for starters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychoactive_substance
http://www.azag.gov/ChildrensPage/drugs.html
http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/cg ... 5/734#R8-9
http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/conten ... f_ipsecsha

Over stimulation of cortisol, the fight or flight hormone. Could this be associated with road rage and the likes?

Caffiene is an added ingredient to many foods and drinks like the new snicker bar. It's my understanding that here in the US food manufacturers are not required to include it on their ingredient list. Go figure.

Food addictions? Billion...Trillion dollar industry?

Happy Trails,
Proverbs 17:22

sugar

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Poppy</i>
<br />As I am trying to find out what works for me or not, I did a test this morning. 1 cup of coffee and 1 tsp Splenda. No meds and nothing to eat.

BS starting 6.3.
+ 10 mins 7.0
+ 20 mins 7.6
+ 10 mins 8.0
+ 10 mins 7.6

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hi Poppy,

Well done you for trying to do some research....I wish you the best of luck with it...and please let us know! I just wanted to add another word of caution...which I hate doing, as I think you are trying a useful exercise...but my blood glucose monitor never seens to giv ethe same reading twice, and I think teh manufacturers claim +/- 20%....so you may need to do this for a while to get anything that is statistically relevant. Opposing this though, I am a great believer that you know your own bosy, so if you find something that backs up what you "feel", then that is a great finding in my book.