Interesting post on Yahoo! Answers...

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
The symptoms of hyperglycemia are similar, whatever the cause.

*First, once the glucose level is higher than the renal threshold, your kidneys will start spilling glucose and will use water to do it, so you're likely to be (or on the ways to becoming) dehydrated. This is not good.

*Second, as your blood glucose level rises, more water will be pulled (for straightforward osmotic reasons) from within cells into the blood. This will result in a sort of extra special dehydration of body cells. This is not good.

*Third, as part of the dehydration and the kidney's dumping water to keep the glucose level under some soft of control, electrolytes will be lost; these are small molecules or ions which are required for various functions including operation of every nerve in the body. This is also not good.

So - for me, the *First and *Second points back up the theory that diabetics should consume extra water.

But the *Third point has got me thinking - how do we replace these electrolytes/ions??? It DID remind me of "The Water Cure" (drinking water w/grey sea salt). Perhaps the grey sea salt CAN replace (at least some of) the electrolytes/ions lost due to hyperglycemia???

/Discuss.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm not an expert on this but I suspect having a balanced diet, even a diabetic one, will provide all the chemicals the body needs to re-create the electrolytes anyway?

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At my annual review the nurse (not a DN just a general one) always asks me if I drink enough. I always say yes without asking her why she is asking.

I've been thinking that she has been told that uncontrolled diabetics wee a lot, so all of us have to drink more.