Intermittent fasting

antmos

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone been on the Intermittent fasting diet recommended by Dr Michael Moseley in his new book? You fast for two days a week and can eat normally for the other 5 days. By fasting he means extremely low calorie, 500 cals for women and 600 cals for men. After being on the Newcastle Diet this is pretty easy for me. I have started it today. It is supposed to have a lot of health benefits besides losing weight.

I would really like to hear from anyone else that has tried this.

Ant

Buckley1

Hi Ant, not wishing to burst any bubbles. My husband and I both tried this (I am diabetic, diet controlled and he is not). We lost the first couple of weeks but then nothing. Unfortunately it did not work for us but has done for lots of people. It is very easy to follow and if you get results then I would say go for it. I have just started the Newcastle Diet (1 week) and have lost 6lb with great blood results (nearly back to normal range) so I am going to stick with it, although it is pretty tough to follow. How did you get on with the Newcastle Diet.

Good luck!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The 5:2 diet was the third diet that Moseley looked at, the first one being a true fasting diet, calorie restriction rather like the Newcastle diet and the second was alternate day fasting. His primary interest was the effect fasting had on the IGF growth hormone and the benefits for protecting against cancer. Although much was made about the possible weight loss on 5:2 it was only really based on the fact that the day after fasting, people ate no more than 125% of their normal diet. If someone ate 2,400 cals per day, ie 16,800 per week, on 5:2 diet they's eat 3 x 2400 + 2 x 600 + 2 x 3000, ie 14,400. One is supposed to lose weight on the 2,400 calories per week saving. It's not much different from cutting down by 400 cals per day and by the time Moseley got onto this part of the programme, the IGF stuff seemed to have taken a back burner. You will lose weight to begin with but it will stop fairly soon and you will have to supplement the diet with an increase in exercise.

Calorie restriction appears to provide several benefits but it cannot of course be maintained indefinitely so the research moves onto alternate day fasting. Does it offer the same benefits and can it be maintained indefinitely? The research done is mostly on rats and mice, but there are indications that some experiments show that it does offer these benefits. I'm not aware of and such research on 5:2 fasting plans though.

Improvements in body fat distribution and circulating adiponectin by alternate-day fasting versus calorie restriction
http://www.jnutbio.com/article/S0955-28 ... 7/abstract

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Healthdiscovery go advertise somewhere else, you always seem to be hi jacking threads.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I tried it last year for a couple of weeks and felt great on it (but too hungry to sleep so stopped) With hindsight, I reckon it was the lack of carbs that made me feel so good. I was undiagnosed T2 at the time.

My mum and stepdad started it a few weeks ago and are doing very well. They are in their 70s and neither is diebetic. Mum reports that she feels sharper in the head on fasting days. She has also lost weight. The diet was not originally designed for weightloss, but that seems to be one of its benefits.