Intermittent insulin resistance

aj.atwal

Anybody have experience with stress and insulin resistance. When my stress levels are high, my BG runs up to 14+, and then just sits there, and no amount of correction seems to bring it down. I have to wait several hours before it comes down and I feel safe enough to eat a meal.

And the exact opposite, when stress levels are low, my BG runs low and have several episodes of hypo in quick succession. Otherwise control is good and time in range is excellent. It's just annoying.

I am on libre 3 with medtronic insulin pump. 30 yo male.

TheSecretCarbAddict

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @aj.atwal, welcome to the forum.

When you are stressed, your body releases a hormone called cortisol. Costeisol is an insulin antagonist, that is, works to counteract insulin by stimulating additional release of glucose into your bloodstream and also interfering with the insulin signalling mechanisms. That's why you are seeing the pattern you described. Managing stress and sleep (poor sleep is the main driver of body stress) can play an important role in managing your diabetes.

IanA123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @aj.atwal, welcome to the forum.

When you are stressed, your body releases a hormone called cortisol. Costeisol is an insulin antagonist, that is, works to counteract insulin by stimulating additional release of glucose into your bloodstream and also interfering with the insulin signalling mechanisms. That's why you are seeing the pattern you described. Managing stress and sleep (poor sleep is the main driver of body stress) can play an important role in managing your diabetes.
Took me a while to realise this, quit the job I was at, and after a month, cortisol levels had dropped, and highs settled down.

Reactions: JAT1 and Melgar

Melgar

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@TheSecretCarbAddict explained IR and stress very well So I‘m not going to add to it. I’m assuming you are T1 as you are on a pump. The other thing to note is that for some Diabetics Insulin Resistance, depending on the time of day, increases as the day goes on, for others it increases during the night and early morning. I don’t have much IR, if at all, although I do think that maybe wishful thinking on my part to say I don’t have any at all. What I do note, however, my blood sugars are higher in the afternoon and evening which is likely due to an afternoon rise in IR. Edited for clarity.

Reactions: SarahHammond