Invokana Trial Stopped Early After Success In Slowing Kidney Disease Progression

DCUK NewsBot

The diabetes drug Invokana has been found to slow the progression of chronic kidney disease (CKD), a relatively common complication of type 2 diabetes. Invokana (canagliflozin) is an SGLT2 inhibitor that is prescribed alongside diet and exercise to help lower blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. The drug has previously been linked with improved kidney outcomes, including within the recent CANVAS trials when Invokana slowed kidney function loss in type 2 diabetes. The new CREDENCE study showed evidence that Invokana could help to prevent CKD occurring. The findings were positive enough for the study to be stopped early. CREDENCE stands for Canagliflozin and Renal Events in Diabetes with Established Nephropathy Clinical Evaluation. "We have accepted the advice of the Independent Data Monitoring Committee to stop the CREDENCE trial early due to demonstration of efficacy, and look forward to sharing the findings as soon as possible," said Professor Vlado Perkovic, the CREDENCE steering committee co-chair and professor of medicine at the University of New South Wales, Sydney. The trial had enrolled around 4,400 people with type 2 diabetes and CKD who were randomised to receive canagliflozin or placebo. Results suggested the drug was successful in meeting pre-specified criteria for end-stage kidney disease and renal or cardiovascular (CV) death, when used in addition to standard care. People with type 2 diabetes face an increased risk of CKD, and researchers are keen for these findings to open up a new treatment option. "This huge unmet need is why it was so important for us to initiate the landmark CREDENCE renal outcomes trial over four years ago," added Prof Perkovic. Although it has been shown to slow CKD progression, Invokana is associated with side effects which should be accounted for, including a greater risk of lower-limb amputation, dehydration, yeast infections and diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).

Continue reading...

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People with type 2 diabetes face an increased risk of CKD
People with badly controlled Type 2 I think the article means?
Then again no-one has ever looked at well controlled Type 2's because of course we don't exist...

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
The diabetes drug Invokana has been found to slow the progression of chronic kidney disease (CKD), a relatively common complication of type 2 diabetes. Invokana (canagliflozin) is an SGLT2 inhibitor that is prescribed alongside diet and exercise to help lower blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. The drug has previously been linked with improved kidney outcomes, including within the recent CANVAS trials when Invokana slowed kidney function loss in type 2 diabetes. The new CREDENCE study showed evidence that Invokana could help to prevent CKD occurring. The findings were positive enough for the study to be stopped early. CREDENCE stands for Canagliflozin and Renal Events in Diabetes with Established Nephropathy Clinical Evaluation. "We have accepted the advice of the Independent Data Monitoring Committee to stop the CREDENCE trial early due to demonstration of efficacy, and look forward to sharing the findings as soon as possible," said Professor Vlado Perkovic, the CREDENCE steering committee co-chair and professor of medicine at the University of New South Wales, Sydney. The trial had enrolled around 4,400 people with type 2 diabetes and CKD who were randomised to receive canagliflozin or placebo. Results suggested the drug was successful in meeting pre-specified criteria for end-stage kidney disease and renal or cardiovascular (CV) death, when used in addition to standard care. People with type 2 diabetes face an increased risk of CKD, and researchers are keen for these findings to open up a new treatment option. "This huge unmet need is why it was so important for us to initiate the landmark CREDENCE renal outcomes trial over four years ago," added Prof Perkovic. Although it has been shown to slow CKD progression, Invokana is associated with side effects which should be accounted for, including a greater risk of lower-limb amputation, dehydration, yeast infections and diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA).

Continue reading...
I bet taken with metformin and not stand alone med. Metformin is the protector not canagliflozin. Long after we stop taking metformin too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've had bad controlled and good controlled type2 in the decades I've had it. I have excellent kidney health, which surprised even an A&E Dr once. He asked how often I tested my sugar. I replied 6-8 times a day.
Good management is the key.
I could not tolerate canagliflozin and only after taking it have I had back problems, effecting my walking. I don't agree to its high accolades, sorry.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
SGLT-2 inhibitors does little unless someone's blood glucose is high hence they would never been used in someone with well controlled type 2 diabetes. Remember that SGLT2 inhibitors are the only drugs that remove the excess glucose from the body all other drugs distributed the glucose to different bits of the body from the blood.

Metformin has a very limited but useful effect on reducing how much glucose on our liver makes, and hence lowers BG levels without increasing insulin levels.