iPhone, Android and Blackberry diabetes apps

cocacola

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
celery, not eating chocolate
I saw this posted on another forum and thought it was a great idea.
The book is called Carbs and Cals £12.99 due to be released on 31st March 2010.
Also available on Amazon for same price.
The book contains pictures of popular foods with their carb and calorie content. There is also an iPhone app due to be released.
The book is A5 sized so easily fits in your bag.
carbsandcals.com/index.html

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 27 21.13.gif
    ScreenHunter_01 Mar. 27 21.13.gif
    80.4 KB · Views: 8,462

iangill100

iPhone Apps - any recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations for an iPhone app for use in Type 1 diabetes, that does more than serve as an electronic BGL record book ? I was thinking of something that provides guidance on meal time dosing.

iangill100

Re: iPhone Apps - any recommendations

I have found RapidCalc on iTunes - it looks like this is what I am after. I needed some help with inputting settings but was able to get this from my endocrinologist. Early days yet but it seems to be the basal-bolus equivalent of a pump. Have a look!

JJWM

Dislikes
Liars, two-faced people, hypocrits. judgemental people

I have started using the Insulin Calculator
itunes.apple.com/uk/app/insulin-calculator/id320616301?mt=8

It has two settings US

Calculate how much insulin to take if your bloods are high
calculate how much insulin to take if yoru on carb count.

You have to set it up first like what your correction dose is etc

iangill100

Thanks,

The insulin-calculators certainly looks simple - what I am after is something that follows the DAFNE rules a bit more closely with different targets and carb ratios for different times of day. The RapidCalc app allows for this.

beatenbeast

JJWM said:

It has two settings US

do you know if this app works with nova rapid

iangill100

I have no experience with this App although it would seem logical that it does support Novorapid. Is there an Email address you can direct your query to?

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D
Re: Carbs and Cals book and iPhone app

New book out "Carbs & Cals & Protein & Fat" come out 20th December 2010

plus iphone app "Carbs & Cals" updated to version 1.0.1 (september 2010)

What's New In Version 1.0.1

- The "Email a Friend" email now links directly to the App Store.
- Fixed some typos in the Carb Counting Guide.

App is £3.99

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos

I have the iPhone App. I absolutely love it. I've been carb counting since DAFNE. If i'm at home then I will weigh all my carbs and do the maths so I know I am spot on with my insulin but I have got pretty good at guesstimating when I am out and about. However, for foods that you don't have very often - this app/book its a lifesaver! For example, i was passing the bakers and there was a Yum Yum in the window. For those that don't know what a Yum Yum is, it is similar to a donut but long and fluffy. Now I don't really eat donuts or pastries so my things to compare it with were limited and it was pretty sugary but then it was also quite hollow - I had no idea where to begin in guessing the carb content so I turned to this Cabs and Cals App and it said Yum Yum - 35g carbs!! Fantastic! All the info I need to get my insulin spot on.

It covers:
Biscuits and crackers
Breads
Breakfast
Cakes and Bakery
Deserts
Drinks
Fruit
Meal Accompaniments
Meals
Meat and Fish
Potatoes
Rice pasta and Grains
Snacks
Take-Aways
Vegetables and Pulses

It shows photos of the item you choose so it'll show 3 different size glasses of Cider or 6 different bowls of rice crispies for example. It also has a diary feature where you click on the calendar and then select the food you are eating of the menu. It then keeps a record of all the carbohydrate and calories you have consumed for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner and up to 3 snacks and then it works out your daily totals.

ally5555

Hi

I posted it on this forum months ago and no one seemed interested!

I use the book with alot of my pts - not just diabetics as it shows what portions should be ! It is very useful I think and written by a very experienced Diabetes Dietitian who I have heard speak at several conferences, he is very good.

Just waiting for the new book and must get the app on my i phone!

Allyx

Dustydazzler

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Sore feet, spiders, feeling hungry, night time hypos

Oh yes I see you posted it in march!! I bet I didn't have it then and missed the post. Then it got bumped up yesterday and that's when I spotted it. It is fantastic having it on iPhone as there is no extra weight in handbag or pages to get crumpled!! :)

MegaMan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not much I'm easy going :D

I only joined the other day and was looking at some post and come across this one :) I have the book you mention cocacola and thought people may like to know that the writer has written an updated carb book. I've also just put the iPhone app on.

These carb books are the best I've come across and they've helped so much. The new carb book I mentioned is on its way so I should get it next week :mrgreen:

JJWM

Dislikes
Liars, two-faced people, hypocrits. judgemental people

beatenbeast said:
JJWM said:

It has two settings US

do you know if this app works with nova rapid

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm on Novo Rapid and I've had no problems using it. As long as you get the Target Rate; Corrective Factor & Carbohydrate factor right then it should work out for you. Now these are different for each diabetic, so maybe contact your Diabetic Nurse if your not sure what your targets / factors are.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes

Found it on Amazon for £8.72.

It is on the way even as we speak, thankyou for the heads up.

cjw

carb counting apps for mobiles

Hi,

I've just started on a pump so carb counting is my life! I have a variety of books etc but I know there is an iphone app for when you're out and about but sadly I don't have an iphone. I have a Nokia 5230 with vodafone and wondered if anyone knows if a carb counting app exists that I could use on that? I have searched online but thought you guys are the best people to ask.

Thanks.

dectjoh

iphone apps?

Newly diagnosed and interested to know if there are any strong recommendations for particularly good iphone apps out there which might help me keep track of things and count carbs etc?
Thanks,
Tracy

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

iangill100 said:
Thanks,

The insulin-calculators certainly looks simple - what I am after is something that follows the DAFNE rules a bit more closely with different targets and carb ratios for different times of day. The RapidCalc app allows for this.

If anyone is still looking for an app that does all this, I'm using one that is called Insulin Pro at the moment. It does cost 1.79 but I'm really liking it so far. It lets you set different carbohydrate ratios and correction factors for morning, afternoon and evening. You can also set a max dose of insulin that you never want to go over.

I haven't found a perfect app for bloodglucose tracking yet, though. I would like one that also lets you make a graph of your glucose levels throughout one day, but all the ones I've come across so far only show the average of that day compared to the rest of the week. I have tried GlucoseBuddy, Bant, and BloodSugar so far.

dazzim

Dislikes
Sugar

im using an app called track3 its not free i think its £3 but i have found it awesome. really easy to use and tracks my glucose / insulin / food im eating.
kind regards.
Darren