irritable bowel

S

sunnyspots

Hello all. I tried a low carb diet somwe months ago (promised I'd 'review' Rose Elliot's diet but never got that far!) My blood sugars were finally good and I had more energy - all the usual. Unfortunately I started to have quite bad irritable bowel symptoms - pain, diarrhoea etc. I stopped and the symptoms went within a day.
I am now back to being fed up with exhaustion and high sugars and would consider trying again except I'm not sure how to avoid the IB coming back. IB does run in my family but I've manged to avoid it so far. Any tips?

Tracey69

HI
Before you do anything else talk to your doctor first as they may be the best to advice you.
Tell your doctor how you are feeling there may be something underlined.
Hope all goes well.
Take care
Tracey

S

sunnyspots

Thank you Tracey. I am lousy at getting to the doctors - they never have any appointments and want you to 'ring back Monday morning' when I'm at work and can't! But you are right I should probably persist.
:roll:

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
sunnyspots wrote
Unfortunately I started to have quite bad irritable bowel symptoms - pain, diarrhoea etc. I stopped and the symptoms went within a day.

As well as gluten, I'd suspect wheat in any form.
Also, were you upping your fat ? This can be a psychological barrier for some ?

Geoff

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Found this in IBS and low carbing

A small percentage of the respondents in the PCRM survey reported suffering from irritable bowel syndrome. However, the results of the poll were not crosschecked with the respondents' medical records. It's possible they already suffered from this disorder before attempting a low-carb diet. IBS sufferers experience diarrhea, constipation and irregularity accompanied by painful cramping. The National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse indicates that there is no cure for IBS, but physicians sometimes prescribe fiber and fiber supplements to treat the symptoms. If you're already prone to IBS, the lack of fiber in a low-carb diet could prevent relief and might even worsen your symptoms.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/46692 ... z28YUDGVb0

Geoff

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would recommend trying the FODMAPS diet. Here is some info:

http://ibs.about.com/od/ibsfood/a/The-FODMAP-Diet.htm
http://shepherdworks.com.au/disease-information/low-fodmap-diet

It's also a low carb diet and seems to control my blood glucose levels. Starch and fibre seem to be the big irritators for my IBS.

Eliminating grains, starchy vegetables and sugar alcohols in artificial sweeteners has made a big improvement in all my digestive issues and I've been able to stop taking Nexium for reflux.

Strangely enough, it was when I eliminated most fibre from my diet that my issues really settled down - the last piece in the puzzle was to stop taking Metamucil as it only made things worse.

LouiseW

I have similar issues with the higher fat diet ... I've had a full investigation done and the diagnosis was IBS. I still suspect that it has more to do with having had my gall bladder out than IBS per se.

MaryJ

My sis suffered a return of her IBS when she swtiched to low carbing. she suspected lack of fibre and used 'fibregel' for a week or so and has been fine ever since. she put it down to a radical change in diet and worked through it

Mary x

S

sunnyspots

Thank you all very much. I shall look at the FODMAPS diet as I would like to feel livelier again! As for fat Geoff I have no psychological barriers there! I still remember my Mum cooking with lard.....! :shock: I maybe more like Louise as I have had my gallbladder out too. I shall skip the fybogel though as I don't want to vomit in addition - that stuff is revolting! :sick:
The whole allergy or lack of fibre bit is interesting. I was having more dairy than usual. But although I lacked fibre in some ways I was topping up with flax seeds. Besides, my daughter has IBS and became much worse when given increased fibre. In the end it was Prozac that did the trick!
All in all I shall look at FODMAPS first but consider the other stuff too. You have given me much food for thought. Thanks again.

xx :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I have 3 friends with irritable bowel all of them are better when wheat free.
Hana

simply_h

Hey,

When I dropped on to Low carb, I had some issues in that department ect..

I found that if I used Ground Flax (From H&B) in water before bed, everything very soon returns to normal ect.

Now I only have it every other day ect.

I know some poeple add it to food or cook with it, but I found it OK just in plain water.

Hope you get sorted soon.

Cheers
Simply.

joeyt74

Type one diabetes and coeliac disease are also linked, worth a bit of research...

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1464-5491.2001.00498.x/abstract;jsessionid=F45ACA6BBADC313808B6424003F9CFB3.d04t03?systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library+will+be+disrupted+on+15+December+from+10%3A00-13%3A00+GMT+%2805%3A00-08%3A00+EST%29+for+essential+maintenance&userIsAuthenticated=false&deniedAccessCustomisedMessage=