is a reading of 3.9 before breakfast bad?

FoxyLady2000

Hello there
I am a gestational diabetic mother to be as well. The amount of conflicting information out there is staggering to be honest. Also the differences between American and British approach is surprising as well. I was reading an American website regarding gestational diabetes and in there the normal levels are given as

Fasting 60-60 (3.3.)
Before Meals<=95 (less than 5.3)
1 hr after <120 (less than 6.7)
0200-0300 am between 60-120 (between 4.4 and 6.7)

I will post the address for this site again for you as soon as I find.

However, my diabetic team gave me completely different limits. They did not bother with lower limits much but they said lower than 5.6 when fasting and lower than 7.8 1 hr after meals. When they talked to me about insulin they said if my blood glucose was measuring lower than 5.3 not to drive but to have something to eat before I drive. That's what they told me. Nobody mentioned about what was a hypo as such. 3.9 before breakfast is just only a tiny bit lower than what I get really. I get 4.2, 4.3 often in the mornings.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
As this is a UK site for Diabetes here is a link to the information about Gestational Diabetes from this sites Community pages with information about levels and much more. The usual advice is between 4 - 7 mmol/l so 3.9 is just a tad low. Not too far out though.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/gestational-diabetes.html

You should in any case discuss the acceptable levels with your Diabetes Team as there may be reasons, medical or otherwise why you should adhere to a different set of standards. As the health of both baby and Mom are paramount do not do anything without first discussing it with the HCP's.

That is what they are they for........

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Non diabetic women in the last trimester of a pregnancy can have very low glucose levels. One study found an average in the 3s.
The NICE guidelines reflect this but note the bits in bold, they are important.

Recommendations for target ranges for blood glucose during pregnancy
Individualised targets for self-monitoring of blood glucose should be agreed with women with
diabetes in pregnancy, taking into account the risk of hypoglycaemia.If it is safely achievable, women with diabetes should aim to keep fasting blood glucose
between 3.5 and 5.9 mmol/litre and 1 hour postprandial blood glucose below 7.8 mmol/litre
during pregnancy.
http://www.nice.org.uk/nicemedia/live/1 ... /41320.pdf

So as Ken says you should ask your health care team what your individual targets should be.
Targets may very well differ according to your treatment (you haven't said what that is, someone on insulin is obviously far more at risk of falling below 3.5 so there might be more caution in their targets )
Given the fact blood glucose meters are not that accurate 3.9 isn't really any different to 4mmol.
I hope you just got on and had your breakfast without worrying.

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
3.9 isn't ideal but it kind of depends on whether it's bottomed out there (which would prob be ok) or indicative that your blood sugar is falling down to a lower level, eg the low 3s, which really would be hypo territory. You don't say whether you are on any medication, if you were on insulin I'd say maybe you would need to look at your dose but if you're not on any medication then I don't think it is too much of a concern unless it is happening regularly and you feel shaky/hypo symptoms

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
I have found that if I have a blood glucose of 3.9 or 4.0 and I don't treat it as a hypo, I will definatley go hypo long before the next meal, so I now treat every blood sugar of 4.0 and lower as a hypo. My hospital Consultant (diabetes) also advised the same thing.

princesskerry

I have had readings in the high 3's before, my doctor did not seem too worried unless it fell to the low 3's. But ask your midwife when you next see her if you are worried.