is anyone using hypurin porcine in a pump please

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi I started on my pump - animed vibe on hypurin porcine. They persuaded me to use apidra - against my better judgement I tried it. Now 2 years later I am 4 stone heavier again.
So I am going to demand to go back on the porcine. However no one wants to help and my consultant retired and didn't say.
So I know I will need to fight.
I dont know if they have my doses written down - if not - how do I work out how much porcine to have compared to the apidra- any ideas.
any hep welcome
Especially if you use the vibe also.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't use the Vibe but I have Hypurin Porcine Neutral in my pump and I feel a lot better.

As for ratios - sorry, I can't remember but I did have to up my boluses somewhat. I found a site online that explained correction doses and ratios. I also bought an old copy of Pumping Insulin that dates from when regular insulin was used, and that was useful too.

I contacted the IDDT and they were very helpful. My consultant took a little convincing but she's more than happy with the porcine now. Before the porcine I used Humalog.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi I use bovine neutral, which has the same duration as porcine.
You need to remember to bolus 30 mins before you eat set you basals at least 2 hours before you need it to take affect and make sure your duration of insulin is correct. I use the vibe pump as well :)

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
Hi I use bovine neutral, which has the same duration as porcine.
You need to remember to bolus 30 mins before you eat set you basals at least 2 hours before you need it to take affect and make sure your duration of insulin is correct. I use the vibe pump as well :)
I seem to remember from 2 years ago that the duration was not long enough so just had to be set to the longest it had.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I seem to remember from 2 years ago that the duration was not long enough so just had to be set to the longest it had.
I set mine at 6 hours but suspect it might be better at the 6 1/2.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just being a curious cat here..........

what benefits does the porcine insulin bring to you all, seeing as it has, from your posts, a longer onset and duration.......?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Just being a curious cat here..........

what benefits does the porcine insulin bring to you all, seeing as it has, from your posts, a longer onset and duration.......?
Even though I use bovine neutral......... benefits are no complications after 50 years on insulin :) also no violent swings in blood sugars and not feeling c**p 100% of the time.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So its more a case of the more commonly used analogue insulin don't agree with you.......?

how long would a bolus of porcine last with you, when does it peak etc?

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I bolus 30 mins before I eat and it peaks at the 2 hours and the duration for pork and bovine is about 6 hours, pos a bit longer. So never need combination bolus, if a fatty meal is eaten then I just bolus before I eat.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The porcine has made me feel much better. The Humalog made me feel weak like I had chronic fatigue or something, and my muscles and joints ached too - so much so that I thought I must have rheumatoid arthritis or something. I also had what seemed like IBS.

After swapping to the porcine, all those problems disappeared. Fantastic!

Yes, it's annoying having to bolus 30 mins before you eat, but I feel so much better now, and that outweighs the early bolusing.

The IDDT have lots of examples of people who feel unwell on analogues. I thought it was worth trying animal insulin, but I was quite sceptical. However, now I'm a convert. I don't like analogues because I feel much better on animal insulin. I'd also add that my hypo signs are more definite, and I don't have those scary, fierce hypos that analogues give you.

Reactions: 4 people

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I have gained 4 stone in 2 years using analogue and human as for some it can cause water retention etc. this does not happen on the porcine and have love hypo warning signs on the porcine too. Habe just plugged it in after getting my prescription- can feel the tail growing already lol I feel well when I use it

Reactions: 4 people

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
hi I cannot find where to check the insulin duration on the vibe- can anyone help please

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I know the IDDT have contacts for people who use porcine in pumps... I'm resigned to having to go back on novorapid for a bit in order to enable them to agree to giving me a pump: I know if I try to say I only want to use porcine then it will likely go against them giving me one... But... If I experience the same symptoms I did whilst on the analogues previously (basically all you all described above: weight gain, hypo loss, chronic fatigue symptoms, depression... Generally feeling s*it) then I'll fight hard to get back on porcine *once* I have my pump... Basically, I empathize - Jenny at IDDT is amazing though - google it and get in touch with her x

ronialive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ignorant people
I know the IDDT have contacts for people who use porcine in pumps... I'm resigned to having to go back on novorapid for a bit in order to enable them to agree to giving me a pump: I know if I try to say I only want to use porcine then it will likely go against them giving me one... But... If I experience the same symptoms I did whilst on the analogues previously (basically all you all described above: weight gain, hypo loss, chronic fatigue symptoms, depression... Generally feeling s*it) then I'll fight hard to get back on porcine *once* I have my pump... Basically, I empathize - Jenny at IDDT is amazing though - google it and get in touch with her x
I started on my pump on porcine neutral and they did agree. I would try for this first as it is hard to change back. I have just done it on my own and am just going to tell them next time I see them. I know it wont go down too well but my consultant retired.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
thanks - just not sure what to set it as? any ideas ?
Mines set at 6 hours but suspect it does need a bit more. Neutral lasts between 6 and 8 hours so perhaps work along those lines. Vibe only allows 6.5 hours though.