is diabetes a disability?

bluboy

Can anyone tell me if diabetes is classed as a disability under currant government guidelines? and if so, why are we not told this so that we can claim benefits.

I only ask this as i am on a restricted drivers licence, can't drive a H.G.V, Bus or train and my currant employer has now stopped me from working permanant nights as i have 2 nights off and this can upset my system.( it will also cost me about £200 per month in lost pay).

My diabetes is controlled with insulin and metformin.

shadwell

bluboy said:
Can anyone tell me if diabetes is classed as a disability under currant government guidelines? and if so, why are we not told this so that we can claim benefits.

I only ask this as i am on a restricted drivers licence, can't drive a H.G.V, Bus or train and my currant employer has now stopped me from working permanant nights as i have 2 nights off and this can upset my system.( it will also cost me about £200 per month in lost pay).

My diabetes is controlled with insulin and metformin.

I beleive that diabetes is included under the 1995 Disability Discrimination Act in that employers can't exclude someone from a job just because they have diabetes. I think the only acception to this is the armed forces although don't quote me. I am fairly sure your employer is acting illegally in stopping you working nights just because of your diabetes and if he/she won't listen to your reasoned argument then it may be worth talking to your union rep if you have one or taking legal advice.

Although diabetes comes under the Disability Discrimination Act, I don't believe it automatically qualifies you for benefits (and believe this is the same for any registed disabled person) unless you are physically having difficulty caring for yourself or unable to work. I think there are lots of good resources on this site and on the http://www.diabetes.org.uk where you can get more advice or there's always the Citizens Advice Bureau. Good luck with your employer

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm not sure of the law, but diabetes certainly isn't a disability if controlled

sofaraway

it is covered by the disability discrimination act. so in terms of employment they need to make reasonable adjustments, and can't discriminate due to diabetes. Do you ahev an occupational health department? they should be able to help you and assess what can be done to help you, or if actually you aren't fit to work night shifts.

As for claiming benefits you will only get them if you have problems caring for yourself because of it, generally people will only qualify if they have problems form complications. like mobility due to neuropathy, or partial sight due to retinopathy. but for most of us we don't qualify, which i think is absolutly right

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
donnamum said:
It is a disability as fas as being able to claim disability living allowance.

sofaraway said:
As for claiming benefits you will only get them if you have problems caring for yourself because of it, generally people will only qualify if they have problems form complications. like mobility due to neuropathy, or partial sight due to retinopathy. but for most of us we don't qualify

Both of the above are correct, so just to clarify what appears to be a contradiction - if you are a parent of a diabetic child (e.g. Donnamum) then you will normally qualify for DLA as you have to assist the child with medication. If you are the diabetic and you are not disabled as a result of neuropathy or retinopathy or another non-diabetic complication, then you generally will not qualify for DLA as you are perfectly able to look after yourself without external help.

LadyJ

I wrote this note guidance note on another forum: http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/dda.html (there is a brief reference guide and a much fuller note linked in)

Broadly, diabetes IS a disability (even if it is well-controlled). Your employer can't force you to stop working nights unless there is a good reason for it. You said it messed up your control, though, so if it is your choice to stop, that isn't necesarily your employers fault.

Please note that the rules for claiming disability benefits are quite different to those relating to the disability discrimination legislation regarding employment. So just because you are covered by the DDA, doesn't mean you will be eligible for any benefits.