Is he or isn't he?

honeymonster

Hi....I wonder if anyone can help me....I'm worried out of my mind for my little boy (3yrs).

He is showing all the symptoms of diabetes yet his bloods have come back normal.

The reason I am so concerned is because his half brother (paternally related) was diagnosed Type 1 just over 2 years ago.

I don't know if I'm being paranoid, but I just know something isn't right.

He constantly drinks, sometimes up to 6 pints a day, has just started wetting himself, day and night, after being dry for a year. He is tired ALL the time, has very itchy dry skin, keeps telling me his tummy and head hurts, has lost weight, sometimes has readings in the 9's, sometimes has ketones in his wee, the list goes on really.

After dealing with my stepson for 2 years, I have no problems with dealing with diabetes, its just the not knowing that is really worrying me, or is this just a case that I know too much information about diabetes and am completely paranoid??

hismom

hi,
to be honest the person you should be asking is your doctor. Take him in as soon as you can dont risk his health. Even if it isnt 6 litres of water a day isnt healthy for a young child and the doctor can find out what is wrong. He does show classic symptoms though.

steph

honeymonster

Thanks for your reply.

I have tested him with my Stepsons monitor, which is all the doctor did anyway.

Wish there was a test that could say if he was gonna get it or not.

hismom

hi,
I would ask for a referral to have bloods taken. This would happen in hospital and they test for all sorts of things. They should be able to tell from the c peptide test if enough insulin is being made. Also a fasting test would be a good idea. My son was diagnosed in october 2009 we had seen 3 doctors before he got a referral to hospital . by the time of the blood test his reading was over 30. we had already come home so the hospital were frantic trying to contact us to take him back. I would go back to the doctor and insist on a blood test better to be safe than sorry.

honeymonster

Hi hismom

Thanks for your reply.

Out of interest, what was your little boys symptoms?

My husband thinks I'm neurotic and says he doesn't want him tested, if I test his bloods every now and then with my stepsons kit that should be enough.

I don't want to put him thru blood tests unneccesarily I suppose, I would be awful guilty if he was fit and healthy.

I guess I just wish I could tell if he was getting it or if he's just being a normal 3 year old boy!

:(

leggott

Hi, My kids going to the toilet very frequently, drinking large amounts, being tired, irratable, losing weight but eating more food. As my husband was type 1 we knew the signs & took him to A&E immediately. They actually turned us away saying he was ok, but a week later we were back in A&E where they confirmed he was diabetic! You really need to see someone straight away to get a proper diagnosis. I just knew there was something wrong with my son and I was right. Go with your instincts too. Leggott

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hiya def go with ur gut, i didnt and regretted it thankfully my son is ok but so could of turned out differently. he showed signs and i had my suspicions but left it he then started being sick but was a sickness bug going round but after getting concerned i took him to hosp to be told he was dehydrated and given dyralyte but when he didnt wake up properly the next morn i had to get him rushed to hosphe was in a diabetic coma and was touch and go, after a week in hosp hecame home and we were very lucky. now if im not happy i push and dont worry what anyone else thinks his health is so much more important go with ur instincts every time either way hope all goes well for u

hismom

hi,
I think the main things that we saw was suddenly waking to go to the toilet (he is 13). He did drink loads. Very tired which we thought was teenage reluctance. The biggest thing was the weight loss. He lost 2 stone. We did go to the doctors on 2 occasion but they thought we were worrying about nothing. The second doctor weighed my son as a marker to see if he lost anymore. The week after we saw a third doctor who asked if we wanted a blood test. We waited nearly another week for a blood test . On the day he had the test and came home. Around 8pm the phone rang and we had to go back to hospital (for more tests they said) When we got there he was admitted straight away. If only they had taken us seriously to begin with. I agree with going with your gut feeling.If it turns out your son isnt diabetic then you can relax and get on with things, but if he turns out to be diabetic he can start getting medication. Good luck with it.

steph