IS IGNORANCE BLISS ?

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
I went swimming this afternoon and had a lovely salt sauna. I wasn't going to go because it's so cold and I didn't want to risk catching a cold etc, but the sauna was lovely and hot and I really enjoyed it. My hairdresser is just across the road from the leisure centre so I popped in to make an appointment and she told me she could fit me in there and then so I was chuffed. We chatted about diabetes, she's also a Type 2 and been diagnosed for about 15 years and is also on Metformin and doesn't seem to know very much about the condition at all. She just takes the Metformin and eats what she likes - bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, chips, cakes, biscuits etc. When I said that seemed to be a lot of carbs she said "Oh I don't eat sugar though."

She hadn't a clue that carbs turn to sugar and she seemed to think I was being a bit obsessive over my diet and was perhaps exaggerating how ill I'd been before diagnosis. She looks fit and healthy, the only symptoms she said she has is getting up in the night to use the loo and occasional nausea in the mornings, which she said, she can usually 'fight off and it passes'.

I came out wondering if perhaps ignorance is really bliss after all. :think: She seems to be doing fine knowing very little about her condition.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Most people I talk to say exactly the same. No idea about carbs and never check after meals.

My Dad is heading towards 89, lives with us, totally non compliant but sailed through thyroid removal 12 months ago. No wound issues at all but does have neuropathy. He doesn't give a monkeys what he eats and he turns my rants into a joke, he thinks it is all a joke.

A strong argument for not everybody will lose limbs or never heal despite poor control I guess. Ho hum!

Ali

GraceK

Dislikes
Marzipan
Insincere people
Big cities
Vulgarity
Ali H said:
Most people I talk to say exactly the same. No idea about carbs and never check after meals.

My Dad is heading towards 89, lives with us, totally non compliant but sailed through thyroid removal 12 months ago. No wound issues at all but does have neuropathy. He doesn't give a monkeys what he eats and he turns my rants into a joke, he thinks it is all a joke.

A strong argument for not everybody will lose limbs or never heal despite poor control I guess. Ho hum!

Ali

I'm beginning to think it might be a joke. I have to be the only person in this whole wide world who takes 2000mg Metformin SR every day and has never had any side effects from it and who also ISN'T LOSING WEIGHT ON IT ... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I was so excited when I heard everyone talking about huge weight losses whilst taking Metformin and thought I'd have lost a couple of stone by now, but nope ... I've lost just over half a stone in 4 months. :?

Deb13

Dislikes
Having diabetes
Half a stone in 4 months seems ok to me. The slower you lose it the more likely it will stay off CONGRATULATIONS