Is it dangerous to not eat within 15-20 mins after taking Novarapid?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Depends entirely on the person, when I was still using Novorapid I had to take it about 20-30 mins before breakfast if I didn't want a humungous spike in my blood glucose levels (sometimes even longer if my blood sugar was higher), however if I took it 30 mins before dinner I would need to be chugging down sweets/food before that 30 mins was up
But as I say its different for everyone, it can be different at different times of the day as well

Reactions: JohnEGreen

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you take your novorapid & then don’t eat your at risk of a hypo, it’s not a given as some people do need a longer gap before the insulin kicks in but 15-20 mins is a good rule to stick to whilst your getting used to how your body reacts to insulin.

It’s sometimes annoying but you just have to plan ahead. That can be a bit difficult if your eating out or getting a take away so I usually end up dosing when the food arrives in the knowledge that it won’t kick in straight away.

Reactions: Grumpy Porridge

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

It may also depend on your BG reading prior to eating? Off the top of my head, a bolus for a meal with an additional correction dose for "10mmol" probably wouldn't touch what's currently in the blood, let alone what it's prepared for in the digestive system..

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Depends on what your bloods are to begin with if I'm high I will leave longer between eating and injecting. Bloods normal range I give before eating