Is it OK to test blood sugar not using fingers?

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it as accurate (or at least accurate enough) to test blood from other areas of the body? The blood test meter I got says you can and has a diagram to say what areas you can use, but it says if you are testing for low blood sugar you should use the fingertips, is this because it's less accurate in other areas?
It's just I've only used the meter three times, and I've already managed to scratch one of my fingers with the lancet, and I can still see the mark from one of the other two times, I don't want to be damaging my fingers at all.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya,
ive tiny marks on my fingers, it doesnt damage them but if you want to test using a different site then thats fine,
as you just said if you are feeling that you could be hypo at all then test with your fingers, many people do use alternate sites with no problems :D

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good I'll try somewhere else next time then!

999sugarbabe

If you decide to use AST (Alternative Site Testing) there are several things to take into account.

Alternative sites should ONLY be used Immediately AFTER a meal OR when fasting.

NOT for the following tests:
2 hours after eating.
After exercise.
If you suspect low low blood glucose.
If you are sick.
And for Insulin users there are other times when NOT to use ASTs.

Other sites: Forearm, upper arm, thigh or calf.

My advice would be to check with your nurse BEFORE deciding whether to use ASTs or not, as there are other things to take into account, and without the full (correct) information your readings will be unreliable and inaccurate.

Readings vary for other sites, due to the rate at which levels change in different parts of the body.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The doctors + nurses I've spoken to have said not to use blood glucose meters, so I doubt they'll be any use :( I'll try asking the doctor I'm seeing at the diabetic clinic though.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I test 2-3 times a day at the moment as I'm chasing 'spikes' I only use the ring finger and little finger on each hand and,at the moment they are OK.What I wanted to ask though is this, Do members who test regularly find that it does numb the fingers or are they OK?

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I test 10+ times a day. I use my middle and ring finger on my right hand (stopped testing on my left after starting the play the guitar :)).

I dont have any problems with my fingers, i use the tips (dont like the sides, dont use the pads) and i find it's not painful at all, even when im typing on a keyboard all day long, the tips are fine for me.

They are quite *dotty*, and sometimes i don't need to prick at all lol, i can just squeeze and i get some blood from old holes!!

I find my finger tips on my left hand hurt more now after starting the guitar.

I use the multiclix lancet as well, which i think is the best lancet device!

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
Stuboy said:
They are quite *dotty*, and sometimes i don't need to prick at all lol, i can just squeeze and i get some blood from old holes!!

Snap.
I use one pinkie all the time, tip and pad, rarely the side as I find that more painful.
Lots of little red dots and I can occasionally forego the use of a needle.
Although the time I got a jet of blood that landed over my monitor was prehaps a bit extreme.

I went to a different finger for a couple of days

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I Always use the inside of my forearm. I look like a junkie with little dots