Is it possible for something to have sugar and be low carb?

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have found that I now only focus on the carb content of foods when purchasing rather than the sugar- does this work? If something has a lot of cigar in would that always make it high carb? Thanks

Carolyn_Lesley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your super quick reply xI am type 2 on Merformin and on a HFLC ish diet. I find I can tolerate more carbs now I have lost nearly 3 stone but still never consider buying anything with more than 10grams per 100 and aim for lower. I don't have hypo's anymore, I think I used to as feeling hungry would send me down a shaky unreal tunnel but now I can actually feel hungry which is great. I have worked hard on my diet and feel the benefits and realize how lucky I am too. I just wondered if the carb quantity on a label always counted in the sugar content or am I just being a lazy label reader! I shop for a family and. Hate spending hours in the supermarket so hope sugar is always counted in the carb level ?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Carolyn_Lesley: Sugar = carbs - and they both get converted to glucose in your body. In the UK it's the total carbs content including sugar (so: xx carbs...of which sugar...) that you should be looking at on the nutritional labelling. So you're doing it right.

Robbity

Reactions: 8 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you for your super quick reply xI am type 2 on Merformin and on a HFLC ish diet. I find I can tolerate more carbs now I have lost nearly 3 stone but still never consider buying anything with more than 10grams per 100 and aim for lower. I don't have hypo's anymore, I think I used to as feeling hungry would send me down a shaky unreal tunnel but now I can actually feel hungry which is great. I have worked hard on my diet and feel the benefits and realize how lucky I am too. I just wondered if the carb quantity on a label always counted in the sugar content or am I just being a lazy label reader! I shop for a family and. Hate spending hours in the supermarket so hope sugar is always counted in the carb level ?

You can have more carbs because your intolerance has reduced and the weight loss has lessened the intolerance.
Carbs and sugars equal glucose, the more glucose the higher your blood glucose levels are!
The higher your fasting bloods or hba1c, the higher your spike will be to higher carbs and your testing figures after two hours should be within 2mmols of your fasting pre meal.

Do you have a monitor?
If so, keep testing before and after meals, keep a food diary and if you do feel shaky, eat something but test your bloods, to see how low you are going!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. To answer the original post, just look at the Total Carbs as that will include any sugar.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Did you mean that? Like most others if I'm going hypo I will have some glucose tablets.

If you know me by now!

If someone with a blood glucose disorder like mine or like @Brunneria, (T2 with RH!) Then the reason we hypo is because we hyper.
The sudden high is the glucose being used quickly, what is left is an overshoot of insulin, that is what makes us go hyper.
Pure glucose or anything middle to high carbs or sugars triggers the ' reactive' part of RH.
What would happen and did happen is it sets off a yo yo effect of hyper then hypo.
And that's what I call ' hypo hell' because your blood is full of glucose and the hyper symptoms, then full of insulin, hormonal imbalance, which has hypos at the end. So the horrendous symptoms which effects the brain so much. Anxiety, depression and so on. Mood swings of real magnitude.
And to top it off, you are really ill.
So, Yes! I do mean it!
There are other ways of treating a hypo.
Even in an emergency, I carry detailed explanation and a warning not to inject glucose or glucagon.
The must have glucose for a hypo is old hat, Yes it does relieve the hypo especially in T1s and most T2s, but for some like me, anything low carb will bring me up slowly and prevent a hypo. It is the same for treating T2s like T1s. It is different for everyone. If something works, then go with it.
I learnt my lesson in front of doctors and nurses in hospital and my endocrinologist has praised my thoughts on this and is advising those that can to do it, with caution obviously!
Long answer I know!
Better than just saying yes!

Hope that helps!

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you know me by now!

If someone with a blood glucose disorder like mine or like @Brunneria, (T2 with RH!) Then the reason we hypo is because we hyper.
The sudden high is the glucose being used quickly, what is left is an overshoot of insulin, that is what makes us go hyper.
Pure glucose or anything middle to high carbs or sugars triggers the ' reactive' part of RH.
What would happen and did happen is it sets off a yo yo effect of hyper then hypo.
And that's what I call ' hypo hell' because your blood is full of glucose and the hyper symptoms, then full of insulin, hormonal imbalance, which has hypos at the end. So the horrendous symptoms which effects the brain so much. Anxiety, depression and so on. Mood swings of real magnitude.
And to top it off, you are really ill.
So, Yes! I do mean it!
There are other ways of treating a hypo.
Even in an emergency, I carry detailed explanation and a warning not to inject glucose or glucagon.
The must have glucose for a hypo is old hat, Yes it does relieve the hypo especially in T1s and most T2s, but for some like me, anything low carb will bring me up slowly and prevent a hypo. It is the same for treating T2s like T1s. It is different for everyone. If something works, then go with it.
I learnt my lesson in front of doctors and nurses in hospital and my endocrinologist has praised my thoughts on this and is advising those that can to do it, with caution obviously!
Long answer I know!
Better than just saying yes!

Hope that helps!

So, in context, for the op, a newbie type 1.5, probably needed that explained that you were nothing like them when you answered their question?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@nosher8355 you have specific requirements . You have said very many times that you have an unusual condition but I believe that putting your original answer is dangerous for people taking insulin or hypoglycaemic medications When someone is using insulin or meds that decrease glucose then quick acting glucose is needed to counter the medication that cannot be quickly removed from the circulation. What would you do if your meter read 2.2mmol/l in the middle or Christmas shopping as mine did today, .I took a couple of dextrose tabs and was fine to continue with a pleasing 5mmol/l before my dinner. I have glucagon and my OH would inject it if I needed it, I'm aware enough that it has never been necessary but I am very grateful that it is available.
Your second answer makes it clear but your first doesn't . As Tim says context is important.

For the original question, added sugar and sugar within the original 'natural' food are somewhat different . If you drink full sugar cola then that it is all added sugar, if you eat a plum it has 90% sugar but it is bound up with fibre and will have a different effect on glucose levels (and has lots of other benefits). You will also probably eat less plum than you drink cola
It's really common sense, if your food has a label and it is high in sugars and not a fruit then look at the ingredients. They are listed from highest to lowest. If your 'chicken Ali Baba' is high in sugar, then it's probably got lots of added sugar and not good for you or your glucose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
So, in context, for the op, a newbie type 1.5, probably needed that explained that you were nothing like them when you answered their question?

No arguments!

But the same could be said of the post that I answered. It was the old theory that if anybody has a hypo, treat it with glucose!

That is not the be and end all of treatment for a hypo!

I apologise and big enough to admit that I should have explained it better!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@nosher8355 you have specific requirements . You have said very many times that you have an unusual condition but I believe that putting your original answer is dangerous for people taking insulin or hypoglycaemic medications When someone is using insulin or meds that decrease glucose then quick acting glucose is needed to counter the medication that cannot be quickly removed from the circulation. What would you do if your meter read 2.2mmol/l in the middle or Christmas shopping as mine did today, .I took a couple of dextrose tabs and was fine to continue with a pleasing 5mmol/l before my dinner.
Your second answer makes it clear but your first doesn't . As Tim says context is important.

For the original question, added sugar and sugar within the original 'natural' food are somewhat different . If you drink full sugar cola then that it is all added sugar, if you eat a plum it has 90% sugar but it is bound up with fibre and will have a different effect on glucose levels (and has lots of other benefits). You will also probably eat less plum than you drink cola
It's really common sense, if your food has a label and it is high in sugars and not a fruit then look at the ingredients. They are listed from highest to lowest. If your 'chicken Ali Baba' is high in sugar, then it's probably got lots of added sugar and not good for you or your glucose.

Have been humbly *********! Apologise!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The OP states they are T2. (post no 5) I know it says 1.5 in the profile but I suspect the DCUK gremlins are at it again and changing the types on our profiles. @Administrator

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The OP states they are T2. (post no 5) I know it says 1.5 in the profile but I suspect the DCUK gremlins are at it again and changing the types on our profiles. @Administrator

Fair point, but then again, they still won't have the problem with overshoot.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Fair point, but then again, they still won't have the problem with overshoot.

It wasn't meant to be about why I overshoot!
It was about hypos!
It was about the fact about there being only one treatment of a hypo!
I disputed that fact!
I would even go as far as saying that quite a few T2s who go hypo, should not drink or eat glucose as that would be like throwing petrol on a fire!
But no one would say it because in an emergency, it is standard treatment to have glucose or glucagon!
Until you know that the standard treatment be used in extreme emergencies, then why shouldn't something low carb be used to bring your bloods up slowly, so as not to affect a spike!
That to me is common sense and logical, because of my experience and I know I'm different but logic dictates because of my condition!

That's my opinion, and should be either read and understood or just ignored.
I apologise for my rant, but I could not, not reply!
I bit! Ok!