Is It Possible For Sugar Levels To Vary Over 100mg In Just 10 Minutes?

alejandrav

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and pretty much to everything blood sugar measuring related. Tonight at home we're in front with a very rare case and I would really appreciate your insight.

My girlfriend is 34, she was just diagnosed with dysautonomia and inappropriate sinus tachycardia 8 years after a gastric sleeve surgery that went wrong, her diet is very discreet, she eats probably 15% of the food quantities what most people usually eat. Her overall health is lately worrying, we are seeing a variety of doctors but symptoms from the heart conditions are still hard to handle.

Her cardiologist suggested that she may be suffering from very low sugar levels, hence the tachycardia, low energy, weakness and unclear thinking.

We got her first glucose meter a couple of days ago. On her first reading after dinner her level was 80 mg/dl - no worries here.

This afternoon at 3pm, when she was feeling very weak and with tachycardia, maybe a couple of hours after a very thin pasta + cheese breakfast, her levels were down to 45 mg/dl - following the doctor's recommendation, she started drinking fruit juice and eating a twinkie.

Tonight, at 10pm, she was down to 56 mg/dL again, so she got half a glass of mango juice, half a twinkie and maybe 3 or 4 cranberries. These are the only things she's had all day, nothing else (I know it's not good to fast being an hypoglycemia episode, but she's really hard to convince when it comes to well eating after that gastric sleeve surgery, unfortunately).

Half an hour later, at 11:30 pm, her blood sugar level spiked up to 214 mg/dl. We honestly freaked out, but she was feeling well. She measured her level again, and at 11:38pm she was at 148 mg/dL. Half an hour after that, she was already down to 107 mg/dL.

We are pretty new to this, and I would really appreciate any insight on sugar level blood variations - is it even physically possible for her blood volume to have changed from 56 mg/dL to 215 mg/dL in 90 minutes with just half a twinkie and 4 oz of fruit juice? And then down to 148 mg/dL in just 10 minutes?

Of course I'm suspecting a wrong reading, but I can't take it for granted without more information.

We have a new Accu-check activate with strips that are away from the expiry date, her hands were just washed and the glucometer was also clean. No weird weather, just high Mexico City altitude.

I've been doing my Google searches and trying to find a trustable doctor to ask to, but due to the uniqueness of this situation, any opinion will add up. We're of course contacting her cardio first thing in the morning (as long as no emergency visit is needed tonight, hopefully).

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through this, I really appreciate it.

Alex

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
A couple of things spring to mind @alejandrav. Was the finger used for testing the high result clean? That can make a huge difference.

Secondly, if you are able to see this pattern repeatedly, it may be a Reactive Hypoglycaemic pattern. I've tagged @Brunneria and @nosher8355 who can talk about that.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @alejandrav :)

You say your partner has had gastric sleeve surgery. I don't know whether this is the cause of her issues but I do know there was a member who had had gastric surgery who went in to develop hypoglycaemia related to this. I'll see if I can find the thread for you or you could try a Search yourself.

Can your girlfriend speak to her gastric surgeon to rule out such a problem? That would seem sensible.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome,

Sorry to hear this. It must be very stressful for both of you! I hope you get some helps soon.

We have had a couple of threads by people with similar issues.
Here is one of them
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/hyperinsulinaemic-hypoglycaemia.103119/

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/cant-get-out-of-this-hypo.102683/

I'm afraid we can't give out any medical advice, or diagnose anything, but for people with reactive hypoglyceamia, I always suggest a few grams of quick acting carbs to resolve the immediate problem - but only a few. Then some more slow release foods to prevent a rebound high and low.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and pretty much to everything blood sugar measuring related. Tonight at home we're in front with a very rare case and I would really appreciate your insight.

My girlfriend is 34, she was just diagnosed with dysautonomia and inappropriate sinus tachycardia 8 years after a gastric sleeve surgery that went wrong, her diet is very discreet, she eats probably 15% of the food quantities what most people usually eat. Her overall health is lately worrying, we are seeing a variety of doctors but symptoms from the heart conditions are still hard to handle.

Her cardiologist suggested that she may be suffering from very low sugar levels, hence the tachycardia, low energy, weakness and unclear thinking.

We got her first glucose meter a couple of days ago. On her first reading after dinner her level was 80 mg/dl - no worries here.

This afternoon at 3pm, when she was feeling very weak and with tachycardia, maybe a couple of hours after a very thin pasta + cheese breakfast, her levels were down to 45 mg/dl - following the doctor's recommendation, she started drinking fruit juice and eating a twinkie.

Tonight, at 10pm, she was down to 56 mg/dL again, so she got half a glass of mango juice, half a twinkie and maybe 3 or 4 cranberries. These are the only things she's had all day, nothing else (I know it's not good to fast being an hypoglycemia episode, but she's really hard to convince when it comes to well eating after that gastric sleeve surgery, unfortunately).

Half an hour later, at 11:30 pm, her blood sugar level spiked up to 214 mg/dl. We honestly freaked out, but she was feeling well. She measured her level again, and at 11:38pm she was at 148 mg/dL. Half an hour after that, she was already down to 107 mg/dL.

We are pretty new to this, and I would really appreciate any insight on sugar level blood variations - is it even physically possible for her blood volume to have changed from 56 mg/dL to 215 mg/dL in 90 minutes with just half a twinkie and 4 oz of fruit juice? And then down to 148 mg/dL in just 10 minutes?

Of course I'm suspecting a wrong reading, but I can't take it for granted without more information.

We have a new Accu-check activate with strips that are away from the expiry date, her hands were just washed and the glucometer was also clean. No weird weather, just high Mexico City altitude.

I've been doing my Google searches and trying to find a trustable doctor to ask to, but due to the uniqueness of this situation, any opinion will add up. We're of course contacting her cardio first thing in the morning (as long as no emergency visit is needed tonight, hopefully).

Thank you so much for taking the time to read through this, I really appreciate it.

Alex

Hi, the question you asked if was possible to spike (hyper) so high and then drop low (hypo) quickly is yes.
As others have said, there's been a. Couple of threads on this sort of hypoglycaemic.

I am aware that if this is actually happening it is because of the gastric sleeve and not uncommon after surgery, the endocrine system alters and it supplies it's glucose and insulin accordingly amongst the other hormones.
It sometimes gets it out of balance and hypoglycaemic episodes are one of the side effects.

You will find a lot more about it on Wikipedia, if you look under reactive hypoglycaemia.

If you read about Reactive Hypoglycaemia, you will see that we recommend very low carb diet.
The amount of carbs is so important. It is these foods along with any sugars, such as fruit and lactose that you have to find out whether your partner is susceptible to high blood glucose levels because of them.
The lows happen when you spike high then excess insulin is produced and then you go low!
So if you don't spike, you don't hypo!

I have not had a hypo in over two years because I have complete control of my blood glucose levels.

If you need more information or questions, please ask.

Best wishes.

Dark Horse

I think you need to rule out skin contamination from the juice/twinkle/cranberries - it's important to wash hands thoroughly before testing to get an accurate blood reading.

Reactions: 2 people