Is it safe to sauna?

Dave...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All.
I was diagnosed T1 about 6 months ago. I've got my head around it and have pretty good control, but then the odd issue crops up. I was at the gym and it was the first time in a long while that I have had time to take a Sauna after a swim - as I went to open the door I checked the notice (which I think I've never done before) and it read that people with diabetes should not use - not differentiating between T1 and T2, so I was unsure if this is an insulin/heat (potential hypo) issue? My DN recommended 10mins (max), should the opportunity arise again... but I just wandered if others used them and if there are any other issues to watch out for?
Apologies if this is a ridiculous or simple question to answer. Any advice would be appreciated.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I've used saunas with no issues in the past, but I rarely last longer than ten minutes anyway. I've not seen them any more likely to cause a hypo, although I suppose if you were in it for 30-60 mins, there is the possibility. The directions on the door are an insurance cover for the centre you were using rather than anything else.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm another sauna user. (Swedish, Indian.)
Insulin sensitivity can be heightened with the heat. Just keep a close eye on BS levels & enjoy!

fairylights

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use every week for around 15 minutes, haven't had any issues.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Insulin sensitivity can be heightened with the heat.

Apparently the heat of the sauna's increases blood flow to the skin area which accelerates the rate in which insulin is absorbed, probably why they have a ban or a precautionary warning on sauna's.

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I suppose the same 10 minutes holds for steam rooms?
I don't think that 10 mins is particularly an issue. I'd suggest that you can go longer than that safely. Personally, from my experiences, I think it's a case of rather more worry than is necessary. I don't recall any news stories about diabetics being rescued from saunas due to hypos, and they would definitely get out there.

Apparently the heat of the sauna's increases blood flow to the skin area which accelerates the rate in which insulin is absorbed, probably why they have a ban or a precautionary warning on sauna's.

Makes sense, but how much insulin is on board when going into a sauna?

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Never had any issues with sauna or steam rooms - as long as you're sensible I can't see why you should avoid them, obviously good idea to test in the hour or so beforehand and if you're feeling hypo or have low blood sugar then get your levels back up ... but that's just common sense and applies to any kind of activity.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Makes sense, but how much insulin is on board when going into a sauna?

The longer you leave it from your previous bolus dose the less IOB you will have, I've been caught out by having a hot bath too soon after a injection and now tend to wait a while before having one.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I always thought it was more a fear of someone with complications eg neuropathy using them. Same for Jacuzzis. Providing you're sensible and test and treat it should be ok. That's been my experience and i've regularly done turkish baths with a friend for a few hours.

UK-Saunas

Saunas are actually good for those with diabetes. I wouldn't recommend prolonged use, but they don actually increase blood circulation in the body, this, in turn, helps the body regulate insulin more effectively and so helps those with diabetes maintain a more regular blood sugar level. Also, anyone, that has to inject themselves regularly may find that their injection sites are starting to scar, saunas actually help minimise injection marks too. This is again due to the increased blood circulation, this helps to heal the wound faster than normal and can lead to less scarring and aids in maintaining a smooth appearance and feel to your skin. We have an article actually, outlining the benefits of infrared saunas.

edited - to remove contact details

Last edited by a moderator: